A Wind in the Door questions!?

1. How did Madeline L'Engle portray Christianity in A Wind in the Door?

2. What truths about God, life, and faith did L'Engle communicate?

3. What did you learn about your own Christian walk from this book?

4. Would you share A Wind in the Door with someone who isn’t a Christian? How might it be helpful to you in sharing Christ with them?

These are the questions I am stuck on, I can't find any websites and the book just isnt helping me - Can anyone out their help with these questions? I would apprecitate it.

Favorite Answer

It's great that you've read this book. Have you read "A Wrinkle in Time" as well? And, "A Swiftly Tilting Planet" comes next. I read these books as a young girl... My young teen daughter has them too, and loved them!

Only you will be able to answer questions 3 and 4, as they are your opinion... but here's some information to help you with the first two. I think that for question 4, you could lean toward morals, values and ethics of Christian life and how everyone, regardless of their religious affiliation, should follow those guidelines.

Good luck!

In this story, science and spirituality are intertwined. Cosmic evil is connected with evil on a cellular level, and the children along with some new friends go within Charles Wallace in order to save his mitochondria (and the fictive entities living within them, the farandolae) from the un-namers -- the Echthroi (which, incidentally, is the Koine Greek word for "enemy"). The Echthroi are powerful, evil creatures whose desire is to X (i.e. extinguish) creation.

Space and time hold little meaning within the Time Quartet series. In several instances, we find Meg and other characters frustrated with their new friends and confused about these concepts. However, according to the mythical creatures that are introduced, these concepts are limiting and unimportant. This is the key concept to understanding why Charles' sickness could be so important. His sickness, the ailment of his mitochondria is just as important as the fate of a planet elsewhere in the universe because each part of creation, great or small, is important.

Like all of L'Engle's books, the power of love is again a force to be reckoned with as it helps save several characters -- not just Charles Wallace but also Meg and a farandola named Sporos. Meg learns to see beyond superficial impressions, and appreciate and embrace inner beauty and strength. Much of the communication between characters in this book involves a process called kything. This process is similar to telepathy and empathic abilities combined. Meg also learns that she is a Namer. Namers work in the universe to love and name parts of Creation, and help them to be themselves. This is the exact opposite of what Echthroi do in their Xing or un-naming.

The premise of naming and counting is inspired by passages in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke which say that God has numbered every hair on our heads and that God is aware of every sparrow that falls. In her book The Rock That Is Higher, L'Engle mentions this concept, and the interdependency that is at the heart of A Wind in the Door:

I never heard of it. Is this a homework assignment??