What is your opinion of Al Sharpton's comment regarding Gov. Mitt Romney?

As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation," Sharpton said Monday during a debate with Hitchens at the New York Public Library's Beaux-Arts headquarters

he then backtracked by saying in a CYA(cover your a**) way-by saying

"What I said was that we would defeat him, meaning as a Republican," Sharpton said. "A Mormon, by definition, believes in God. They don't believe in God the way I do, but by definition, they believe in God."

He said he was contrasting himself and other believers with Hitchens, who is the author of a new book, "God Is Not Great."

keep in mind (Yo Yo Mama) and others...

my question is asking for your opinion of Sharpton's comment..not a dissertation as far as Mormonism's validity as a Christian religion..

I mean thanks for your any supportive responses about the Mormon faith, but it doesn't answer the question...

• ?
    Favorite Answer

He should be forced to apologize on national TV.

It's still commonly held in Catholic and Protestant denominations that Mormonism is a cult based on heresy. That it is heresy in the sense of all that was declared heresy in the ecumenical councils is undeniable. But Mormons assert, and not completely without merit, that their doctrines align quite well with very early heterodoxies which were declared heresies in Roman controlled political councils. they would say the fact that their doctrines lost the vote in the councils does not mean they are wrong.

I would argue that Mormonism can be labeled heresy from a simple examination of scripture and nothing more. So the notion that their doctrines are ancient and orthodox, but lost out to political corruption in the Roman Church is not convincing. In fact, they deal with this the only way they can, which is to claim the Bible is incomplete, mistranslated, or their "plain and precious truths" were excised by the Romanists. Of course we have ample documentary evidence that this specific claim is false.

Probably more dispositive is the fact that there isn't a shred of evidence for the factual nature of the Book of Mormon, and abundant evidence that "The Prophet" Joseph Smith was a circus sideshow fraud in every sense of the word. But conversely, we have no evidence that all of the extraordinary claims of Christendom are other than a fraud, so in that regard, Mormonism's claims are no less or more worthy of derision.

And who's the jerk giving me the thumbs down for simply telling the truth?

Shaprton proves that, left to their own, those who believe in God will start sniping at each other about just how falsely they believe in God.

The USA ought to get back to the notion that all are created equal, and eliminate honorifics like "reverend". I'm a Bright and I don't think Sharpton is any more reverent than I.

http://www.the-brights.net/

Every time Al Sharpton opens his mouth I stop listening. I can not count how many times he has suck his foot in his mouths. What about all the stuff he said about the guys at Duke. Or what he did to Don Imus. I don't really care what is his anymore.

Al Sharpton appeals to the lowest common denominator. Anyone with an IQ over 65 shouldn't take him seriously, and the fact that he has leveraged himself as a major player on our nation's social stage says something (not good) about us.

It's easy to criticize him as a Christian; I do not. I criticize him as a human being. He is a complete waste of DNA.

What am I supposed to think of anything Sharpton says? He is completely self serving and a bigot on top of that.

• My feeling is this; I wish he'd just shut the f*** up and go away. He's a disgrace to himself and to the people he calls himself trying to help. The self appointed, so-called "Black leaders" just want to see their picture in the newspapers. No plans for Black people, just plans to get media coverage.

A protestant heretic criticizing morman heresy. We need the Pope's thoughts on this

• chersa

I agree, Then again Al Sharpen says alot of things that are uncalled for, and then goes and rally's against things that are uncalled for...

Al Sharpton is an idiot and I think CBS should fire him.