I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas this August do I have to get a passport?

Do I absolutley have to?

• Dusie
    Favorite Answer

The government changed the rules about passports. Now people who cruise in the Caribbean do NOT need a passport. People who fly will need one. You will have to have a passport for cruising in the Caribbean starting Jan 2008. They are now taking up to 12 weeks to process. I just got back from a Cruise in April. We did fine with our birth certificates and Drivers licenses. We applied for our passports, knowing that we will need them for next year, and they took 10 & 1/2 weeks. They came after we got back from the cruise.

Source(s): Planning our 5th cruise.

Yes. It used to be that US Citizens did not need passports (and possibly others), but now (as of this last January, 2007) everyone sailing between the US and the Bahamas must have a passport. It does not matter what nationality you are, you must have one.

Your travel agent should have told you that, and it should be noted on your cruise documents.

If you do not have a passport you will not be allowed to board the ship, so yes you absolutely have to.

Source(s): travel.state.gov - for US Citizens.