Steve G asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

In 3 weeks, I will be competing in a 100 metre sprint against my friend...?

... and I am looking for tips. I am not particularily athletic, but neither is he. I am slimmer than he is, and taller, but I can't afford to lose, so I want to train up a bit and knock a couple of seconds of my time.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve in sprinting? I have done a bit of running (the odd mile and a half here and there) but obviously that's more stamina than speed.

Any helpful hints?

Favorite Answer

Wicca nice copy and paste answer.

For the most part, it was good, except for in the acceleration phase, when you said after the first 2 steps you should stride out in front of your center of gravity. This will create a braking action, which you especially do not want on the 3rd stride of your race!

Don't listen to the guy who told you to run a mile. You are racing 100 meters! Your body uses a totally different energy system for this.

As for training, I would do 2-3 sprint sessions a week, depending on how quickly you recover. You want your muscles and nervous system to be fully, or at least almost fully recovered in between sessions. (You can even do 4 sessions a week if you are recovering well.)

The sessions should consist of short sprints anywhere from 30-60 meters in length (you choose). Between each sprint, rest until you are fully recovered (3-5 minutes is usually good). Do these until you feel like you have slowed down a little (you lose your "pop" or "bounce"). Between 4-7 sprints per session is normal, depending upon work capacity. Limiting fatigue in this way will allow your body to recover more quickly, so you can train more frequently, and for beginners, frequency is the key to increasing motor coordination the fastest. It is better to stop a workout too early than fatigue yourself so much that it will take 3 or 4 days to recover from.

You actually will probably be a little sore after the first few sessions if you are not used to sprinting, but don't wait until this soreness goes away, just train again about 2 days later as normal. (I know this goes against the full recovery rule, but the first 3-4 practices will be the exception, since your body is still getting used to running.)

I used to run cross country for about 5 months, so i know a little bit about running. First, try running about a mile each day, and keep trying to improve ur time. be sure to drink a lot of water, and listening 2 ur ipod might help. Stretch all of ur leg muscles and get ur heart rate up b4 the race. Then just go all out, and hope for the best. Good luck in the race!

• WICCA

By breaking sprinting technique into its component parts you can focus on and improve specific phases of the action.

START PHASE

i) Bodyweight evenly distributed over four contact points in the start position (i.e. hands and knees). Front knee angle is ~90o, rear knee angle ~100-130o.

ii) Explosive push off with both legs. Front leg extends remaining in contact with the ground while back leg swings forward. Extended front leg and trunk form a straight line.

iii) Arms swing opposite to legs, elbows flex to ~90o.

ACCLERATION PHASE

iv) After first two strides, foot touches down in front of center of gravity.

v) Forward body lean begins to decrease until normal sprinting position is reached after about 22 yards (20 meters). Head is relaxed, eyes focused straight ahead.

MAXIMUM SPEED PHASE

vi) Push-off angle from ground is ~50-55o. Trunk is almost erect with ~5o forward lean.

vii) (Midflight) Push-off leg folds tightly towards buttocks in a relaxed ‘heeling’ motion. Front leg thrusts forward and upward at maximum speed (~44mph in elite sprinters). When front thigh reaches maximum possible knee lift, lower leg swings forward in a relaxed movement.

viii) Foot meets ground with ankle slightly extended (plantar flexion) directly under center of gravity. Bodyweight is balanced so that only the ball of the foot touches the ground.

ix) Shoulders remain steady, elbows flexed at ~90o, kept close to body throughout all phases. Hands swing forward and up above shoulder height, down and past hips. Arms and hands should have an aggressive hammering action. Head aligns naturally with trunk and shoulders and facial/neck muscles are relaxed by keeping the mouth slightly open.

Good Luck

drink red bull or any energy drink right before and do warm ups