May I use a modem to connect directly two PC's?

I dont Know if this is posible but if this true how i can get those two pc connected for a trasfer files between them

Update:

yes i know that the crossover is the better process to get connected to pc for ytranfer files between them i need to know if I can get this function with a modem cable

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. Modem can be used for connecting two PCs directly.but you should have modems on both the ends. You can create a network between both the computers.

• 1 decade ago

You can definitely use a Modem to connect two PC's but the major drawback is that, you cannot connect to the other PC directly. Instead you have to attach a Telephone Line for each PC and dial to that PC as you would dial up an Internet Connection.

Why go into such hassle? All you can do is to get an Ethernet Cat5eCable and do a crossover Cable?

That would be the perfect solution.

BYE

Imtiyaz

• doward
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you need to unquestionably use a Modem to connect 2 computing device's whether the main nicely known shy away is that, you need to now no longer hook up with the various computing device with out placed off. as a substitute you would be waiting to desire to attach a telephone Line for each computing device and dial to that computing device as you will dial up an cyber information superhighway Connection. Why bypass into such difficulty? All you're arranged to do is to get an Ethernet Cat5eCable and do a crossover Cable? it somewhat is the suitable answer. BYE Imtiyaz

• Ken
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Transfering files from one pc to another, most people recommend a cross over cable.

The other formal method is to connect cat5 cables between the hub or switch to each of the PCs. You get yourself a switch or hub and initiate window's home networking software to set up networking. You've got to go to start, control panel, then network setup wizard. Go through the prompts. Keep the same workgroup name but different names on each of the PCs in your network. Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't think you can network 2 computers using the modems...

If the computers have ethernet ports you can do it...

You connect the two ethernet ports using a crossover cable that has a different pinout than a regular ethernet cable.

You go into the control panel / internet and networking / network wizard in both computers and follow the simple steps to set up a network between them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i cannot see how you can connect two PCs to a single modem. There are routers which can be used to do that. If you are using it to connect two normal home PCs or office PCs which have the broadband connection we get in India don't try this at home!

• 1 decade ago

Yes! it is possible to connect two PCs using a modem inside Windows OS using a program called hyperterminal, I don't know about any such similar program available for Mac or Linux.

• 1 decade ago

If you have a fire wire connection you might be able to link the two together. That is if you have windows XP. Try it. It might even work with a usb cable but I am not sure about that one.

• 1 decade ago

get a ethernet cable...and ethernet cards..and connect two computers...

modem will be costly to use...

why donty u try wifi

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no dear you cant do this you need lan cards to directly connect your PC's

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.