Rocket asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

My TV keeps turning itself down...the infra-red light is flashing when this happens...what is going on?

I can turn the volume back up with the remote, but it just turns itself down again afterwards. Otherwise the TV is fine...it's only about 4 or 5 years old...the sound and picture are normal when it's working properly. Is there such thing as infrared interference...it's not my remote (I tried taking the batteries out in case the button was stuck or something but the same thing happened) Can this be fixed? It's driving me nuts now...

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Wamibo
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is clearly a fault. It depends on the make and circuitry but the likelihood is one of the integrated circuits associated with the sound output will need to be replaced. You will probably need to call an engineer to fix it, unless you have experience in working with electronic circuitry. It may work out cheaper to put TV in skip and buy a new one.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Turn it up to the level you want the volume and then take the batteries out of the remote, it sounds as though the button is sticking, or maybe it has a bit of dirt under the button.

If the infa-red light is flashing then its because it is recieving a signal from the remote

Hope this helps

• justme
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

r u sitting on the remote?

just josking - remote is a problem maybe

how about buying one of those all in one remotes and tuning it into your tv perhaps this will solve the problem

obviously take the batteries out of the old remote

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Is the volume button stuck on the remote? Try moving your remote away from your tv so it isn't pointing at it.

Is your house haunted?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

it could be someone using another remote in your house and when they turn the other tv down it turns yours down as well or maybe a neighbour has some tv as your and there remote is controling your tv. if not it could be a ghost maybe or it could be a sticky button try cleaning your remote

• 1 decade ago

Ghosts, definitely ghosts in your house. Same thing happened to me back in college after a roommate had committed suicide over the summer. (yes, it's true, very sad and true). The t.v. never did that before, oh and the door to the basement started slamming occasionally too. We always tried to talk nicely to the ghost when it happened.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your dog it sensitive to the noise and turns the TV down.

• J M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes you have got some kind of interference, have you recently installed anything nearby that is creating heat.

• 1 decade ago

You're probably sitting on the remote...

• 1 decade ago

put some black tape over the sensor on the TV

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.