Mike asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

How will college life be like for me as a running back playing for the University of Michigan and engineering?

I am going to the University of Michigan the fall of 2007 and I will be playing football and majoring in biomed engineering. How will college life be like for me in terms of academics, social life, and dating?

Favorite Answer

You will be busy. Very busy. Try to achieve some sort of balance between football, academics, and having a life. Remember, football is only your ticket to an education that would cost you about $300,000 otherwise, so do enough to stay on the team, but the real value is the UM education, so feed your head!

And don't be surprised if you change your mind about Biomed engineering... I changed majors three times before I graduated...

Obviously it will be difficult. The nice thing about most colleges, though, is that they have a good support structure in place for student athletes. Try and get the "easier" (if that's possible in engineering!) classes scheduled for fall, or if that's not possible, then balance them out so you're NOT taking all hard classes in the middle of football season.

Take advantage of tutors if your team has any (which most big programs, if not all, should). Talk to your professors. Most importantly, surround yourself with a good support structure so you can minize distractions (ie, too much partying, etc). If you find yourself falling behind, speak up FAST...coaches for the most part will help out if you're falling behind, because they'd rather have you miss one practice for a tutoring session than playing time for being academically ineligible.

It's not impossible. Plenty of football and basketball players do it in all kinds of majors.

Good luck to you.

As a U of M engineering graduate (68: Marine Engineering & Naval Architecture) without the challenge of Big 10 football I can safely say that your life is going to be very busy. Being able to effectively manage your time is going to be key to your success as a student athelete; combining a top notch sports program with one of the best engineering programs in the country is not going to be "a walk in the park" Good luck to you -- GO BLUE!

I am a season ticket holder at U of M so you better work your *** off if you want to see the field but more importantly, UM is a great academic school and unless you plan on going pro, use every opportunity you get to use your tutors.

Good Luck this year!! Should be a great year.

It will be what you make of it. It will be demanding, rigid, and non-forgiving. You have been given a wonderful opportunity. Make the most of it. Do not let down the ones who made this all possible. You cannot pay back those who arranged this for you, but you can make it a successful experience and do the same for someone else someday. Good luck!

As long as you concentrate on achieving mediocre grades, should be a friggin' amusement park for you. If you want to get GOOD grades you're going to have your hands full, and I think lots of distractions.

Better wear an extra but pad because you *** is going to numb.