Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

west point?

I am a 13 year old 7th grader and I want to get into west point (usma) and now I am doing things

1. I run and lit weights requently

2. I get strait A's in all honors classes

3. I am learnig spanish

4. I am in CAP (Civil Air Patrol)

5. I am on the track team

6. Natinal unior Honor Society

What else can I do to increase my chances at this time

Favorite Answer

Take as many leadership positions as you can. Become a class officer, the leader of the track team, the commander of your CAP, whatever you can find.

Join volunteer organizations and spend a good bit of time with them.

Look at the link below. Seek out someone in your local American Legion and ask him how to get to Boys State (when you are a junior in HS). The West Point application has a check box on it devoted solely to this event and your being selected to attend it.

Keep up your grades and keep up your sports participation. Increase your civic participation and you should have an excellent chance of attending.

My son graduated from West Point . He was accepted 2 weeks after he submitted his application because his SAT was 1570, his GPA was 3.95 and he was 2nd in his class in high school (which was not a public school).

You're 13 years old. Make sure that the military is what you want. It is not glamorous and you are not appreciated by a large portion of the citizens of this country. I served from 1971 - 1991 and retired. When I first joined, the "liberals" liked to show their appreciation for my service by spitting on me or accosting me in airports or on the street when they out numbered me at least 3 or 4 to 1. At the end of my career, I walked through the airport in Philadelphia in my desert camoflage and received a standing ovation (a very emotional experience). I served my country because I loved it and I don't give a damn what anyone says to the contrary. Reach down in your guts and make sure that it is what you want in life. If the answer is yes, then you will have the appreciation of this old soldier and my deepest respect for you as a soldier and patriot. If that is what you want, I wish you success because the long gray line is an honor that only a few will ever know. West Point is not only an education, it is a walk through history. You will be attending a school that produced Presidents, Generals and heroes. While I worry every day about my son serving in Iraq, the proudest moment in my life was his graduation from West Point.

Don't lift weights yet, you will not grow properly. Just run and play sports. Plus, the Army doesn't care how strong you are really. They want you to be "Lean and Mean" in other words, they want extremely high endurance. Push-ups, Sit-ups, Running, Marching, etc.

Get on a sports team.

Join alot of extracurricular activities and become president of them. (they look for leadership qualities)

Other than that. Stay in AP classes with straight A's and top physical condition and you will have a very good chance.

Also, when you do your application, if anyone you're directly descended from (Father, Grandfather, Great-Grandfather, etc) has any kind of high prestige medal, make sure you list that on your application. Like Medal of Bravery, Silver Star, etc.

I believe that if anyone one of your direct ancestors have a Medal of Honor you are guaranteed to be in.

Good luck.

You sound like an ambitious young person. Everything you are doing sounds right on track. You may also want to find a JROTC program in your area . This will instill even more military customs, courtesies and discipline in you for your future appointment to West Point . (You may want to work on your typing skills a little, too LOL). Good Luck and Semper Vigilans.

Sounds like you are doing pretty good...try as well to get to know a state politician i.e. a state senator or us house of represenative for your state...their written recommendation will be critical to your acceptance to West Point...also consider the Naval Academy just as my opinion...