How to remove a animal from a sticky mouse trap?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
We put out a stticky trap for mice and today we found an aligator lizard on it.It cant get off.I need to know if thers a way to take it off or if that is torture.
Best Answer
I'm not sure about scaled animals, but for animals with fur you can use vegetable oil. Call your local vets office, they should be able to help you out.
  • 4
  • Comment

Other Answers (10)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • PitbullLady answered 7 years ago
    Pour vegetable oil on the glue around the animal. I have used this successfully to free snakes and lizards and even a wren that got stuck on one of these things. I HATE these glue boards, and find them horribly cruel and nondescriminating; they catch any small animal that wanders across them, whether or not it's a pest. Our school has to use these to avoid poisons, which can hurt children, so that's why I have to know how to remove animals that get stuck. They are mainly put out for cockroaches, but I seldom find any cochroaches on these things. I won't let the exterminators put them in my classrooom. I have many native spiders(harmless species, as are most spiders) that live in my classroom, and I've never had a problem with cockroaches, for some reason.

Source(s):

experience removing animals from these *&^% things
    • 3
    • Comment
  • boxerpitk9 answered 7 years ago
    Sticky mouse traps are torture! Why don't you get mouse traps that kill the mice instantly instead of leaving them there to have to suffer by starving and thirsting to death. You are a cruel person, probably raised by cruel people! God sees what your doing!!!
    • 4
    • Comment
  •   answered 7 years ago
    Fill the tub (or sink) with lukewarm water. Let the trap soak (make sure the water isn't high enough to cause the animal to drown **if possible, hold the animal's head up**). Give it around 5-10 minutes, then GENTLY pull the animal off the glue trap. If the animal doesn't come off easily, wait longer. Never use force!

Source(s):

Has removed multiple mice from glue traps, the released them, next day, in the woods.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Tina D answered 7 years ago
    I think oil would work try veg. oil or something natural it seems to get out stickyness.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • zhalfpint answered 7 years ago
    I just read all the other answers.
    I must say that once something is stuck, it's stuck.
    Bad situation for the aligator lizard but you put the trap there for a critter to get stuck and the lizard was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I would most likely call your local vet guy for assistance or something.
    Hope things work out for your situation.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Brenda C answered 7 years ago
    The only thing I can suggest would be to take the lizard and trap to a vet that specializes in reptiles. The glue used on sticky traps is so strong that to try to take the lizard off the trap yourself would cause a lot of damage and pain to the lizard. I worked for a storage facility that used sticky traps in the units to prevent rodent damage. In one of the units someones basketball got stuck on the trap. They were never able to get the trap off and had to throw the basketball away.

Good luck.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • The Vet Tech answered 7 years ago
    try warm water first. alot of things lose stickiness when wet.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • LDG answered 6 months ago
    We just had a non-aggressive snake get caught on a glue board, and used vegetable oil (as directed below) to help free it - and it worked. The little guy is now free + unharmed.
    We didn't pour it on the other bugs caught on a glue trap, and they remained stuck.

So, yes - you can free reptiles and lizards on a glue board. Please be careful, use a teaspoon at a time as to not drown the animal. You may need to continue adding add small amounts of vegetable oil as the animal works itself off the glue board, which they can.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • MommyCaleb answered 7 years ago
    pour some vodka around it's feet to disolve the glue. those traps are meant to hold the mouse there until they either try to chew their feet off and bleed to death or starve to death. next time get a humane trap.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Ana L answered 7 years ago
    Ok, so people I'm going think I'm cruel and whatever else, but we're not here to discuss that. We're here to discuss how to free an animal from a glue trap. I have pet rats and I also have unwanted mice. My husband puts glue trap out for the mice, well, my pet rat fell and got stuck in one of the traps. He struggled for a while and I helped him to try to avoid him getting stuck even further. He screamed and cried, but we were able to peal it off of him. He had sticky stuff on his paws, cheek, and...ouch...balls. So I put him in the bathtub with some warm water. But he was pretty scared and didn't really want to be there...so I just wrapped him in a towel and held him for a while. I figure the sticky stuff will eventually rub off. But I suppose if an animal is stuck on there good, or if you're afraid it will bite you, it's not a good idea to pull it off. It happened to work for me. I guess it must feel like getting waxed...I've done it a few times and it hurts while it's happening, but it's not life threatening and the pain only lasts for a moment.
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock