How did Lord Baltimore arrive in the state of Maryland?

Favorite Answer

Like most Europeans, he was granted free land, but to be more descriptive, here is some extra info:

Sir George and his son Cecil were British subjects rewarded with land in the new world. George was a Secretary of State to King James I. He was at first rewarded with a title to land in Newfoundland. He later asked James I's son, Charles I, for title to land north of Virginia that would become Maryland. This land was not signed over until after his death and was given to his son Cecil. The Calverts were Roman Catholic, a religion which most inhabitants of the New World were prejudiced against.

When Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, created the colony of Maryland, he formed it based on the ideas of freedom of religion and separation of church and state. Maryland, in fact, became known as a haven for Roman Catholics in the New World. Cecil governed Maryland for 42 years.