Could an english person moving to florida become a cop there? Obvisoly with all correct papers and stuff??

• RJ
    Favorite Answer

You would have to have become a U.S. citizen first.

According to the Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement website:

"Officer Qualifications for Employment:

Be at least 19 years of age.

Be a citizen of the United States.

Be a high school graduate or equivalent (for law enforcement and correctional, a bachelors degree is required for correctional probation officers).

Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, or is found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement, shall not be eligible for employment or appointment as an officer, not-withstanding suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.

Never have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.

Have been fingerprinted by the employing agency with prints processed by the FDLE and the FBI.

Have passed a Commission approved Basic Abilities Test, after January 1, 2002 as an entry requirement into a basic recruit class.

Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician.

Have good moral character.

Completed an Affidavit of Applicant form CJSTC-68 (as a PDF ).

Successfully passed a background investigation, to include drug testing.

Successfully completed the Florida Basic Recruit Training Program for the respective discipline, or equivalent.

Achieve a passing score on the State Officer Certification Examination (Except for Auxiliary Officer Certification Examination)

Complied with mandatory retraining for continuing training or education requirements."

For more information, click on the link on my sources list.

Source(s): -Police Detective (but not in FL) http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/officerrequiremen...

Try to find a web site for the police department you are interested in joining, there should be a recruitment section with requirements there.

The majority of the departments require US citizenship, state drivers license, and educational level (may be high school diploma, A.S. or B.A.). It's different for most departments, but I've never heard of a requirement that you were born in USA, just to become a citizen.

Yes, but you need to become at least a permanent legal resident first. Contrary to popular belief not all government jobs require a person to be a U.S. citizen. I have a green card and I worked for the post office at one time. The only jobs that require you to be a U.S.citizen are jobs that have something to do with homeland security, FBI, CIA, etc. I hope this helps.

You have to be a citizen of the United States to get any government job, if you are an American citizen, then sure you can be a cop in Fla no matter where you come from.

Actually if you are a Caucasian, English Male, you will have a tough time getting hired in Flordia. They have Minority Quotas to fill and you will be very low on the roll!!

I live in Florida and I wouldn't see why not. I think they would be happy to have you as a cop.

• Conan

Sure... He must learn the Floridian Language... That English British is kinda funny do ;-)

Of course

Sure why not?

Sure welcome to the American dream : )