My computer does not recognize Powerpoint files?

My Windows XP computer is not recognizing PowerPoint files making me unable to open them. I get a message stating "Sorry, this is not a PowerPont file" when I attempt to open it using PowerPoint. However, I know they are PowerPoint files. Any suggestions?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can download the PowerPoint Viewer for free.

You can open files, but not create them

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

-MM

• 1 decade ago

The easiest test is to see if they open on another system with PowerPoint. Several things to check:

1) Is the file generated from a newer PowerPoint version? Could be that you can't open it in an older version on your system.

2) Try creating a new PowerPoint file, save, and reopen that new file. Maybe something is hijacking your PowerPoint application.

If you can open the PPT on another system with the same version of PowerPoint, consider doing a repair to your installation. You may have to repatch the software when done, but at least you'll be in a known working state at that point.

• 4 years ago

Within the Office 07 - Do a file (or the little office symbol) Save as - PowerPoint 97-2003

• 1 decade ago

Which MSoffice Version Office 97 or 2000 or XP or 2007 )you are using? If the file is created in High Version Cannot be Opened with Lower Versions

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

which power point are you using? If the files you are attempting to open were created in a later version of powerpoint from what you have then that may be the reason.

• 1 decade ago

You need an alternative software or computer with software to check if the file is the problem or the software is the problem.

Alternative software which can open PPT/PPS files

Powerpoint viewer

Open Office

Source(s): www.openoffice.org
  • 1 decade ago

does the extension at the end of the file read .ppt ?

if your sure that the file is indeed a powerpointfile and if that extension is missing add it and see what happens

• 1 decade ago

re-install u r microsoft office and see whether if u can open the files>If not u r files are corrupted first u install ms office again.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Check the PPT version.

• Oscar
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Files are probably corrupted... you get this files corrupted sometimes when using floppy disk.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.