Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

What does the saying "Ignorance is bliss" mean?

I was just wondering

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because quite often it's better not to know anything!

• 5 years ago

In 1881, President Garfield was shot by a would be assassin at the train station. The president was taken back to the white house. Quickly many medical professionals came in to help the president. A doctor who was a family friend was notified by Abraham Lincoln s son who worked in Garfield s cabinet. This doctor was a friend of the Garfield family, and immediately appointed himself the president s personal physician. He kicked the other doctors out and worked to help the president. The bullet stopped between two back muscles and hit no organs. The president could have easily survived with the bullet inside of him. Sterilization of hands and instruments were not widely accepted at this point in history. The doctor over the course of weeks repeatedly kept probing his finger and many different instruments into the presidents side looking for the bullet. The president originally started to recover, but then took a turn for the worse. He eventually died from an infection caused from non sterilized items being repeatedly stuck in the presidents side. After the president died, an autopsy was performed confirming these facts. Once they were published in the newspaper, 2 of the doctors that were originally kicked out of the white house were reading the autopsy results in the newspaper. One of those doctors then commented, "Ignorance is Bliss". Oh, the name of the Doctor that killed the president through improper treatment, Dr. Willard Bliss.

• pfarr
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

What Does Blissful Mean

• Rose
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/paSYP

It means he prefers to be one-dimensionally happy inside the Matrix, with all his memories of the true horror of existence wiped so that he can eat, drink, have sex, and perform all other basic functions free of stress and worry. It is relative to the old adage of an ostrich sticking its head into the sand when it's frightened: "maybe if I can't see it, it can't see me." Basically, it means he is a moral coward.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does the saying "Ignorance is bliss" mean?

I was just wondering

Source(s): quot ignorance bliss quot mean: https://shortly.im/kIGYk
  • 1 decade ago

the whole saying is "where ignorence is bliss,it is folly to be wise" but i suppose u want to know the meaning of only "ignorence is bliss"

suppose a man is soon going to die:if he knows this he just would'nt be able to live and die a thousand deaths before the actual death.however if he did'nt know he would live merrily and wouldnt suffer so much torture...

if a man loves his wife and doesnt know about her infidelity he is happier but the moment he discovers he suffers from agony...

so this way,ignorence becomes a bliss.

• 1 decade ago

The origin and meaning came from the English poet Gray who wrote a poem in 1742 and "unintentionally added a proverb to the language. It has been observed that Gray didn't mean it is better to be ignorant than wise at all times, the popular usage given to his words, for he makes an important qualification by using the word where. But a reading of the whole poem shows that he did mean it is better for man to be blissfully ignorant of his fate."

".Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise."

the modern meaning is :

it is better not to know something than to know it and be upset by it

Source(s): From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).
  • lllll
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Everyone will have different opinions and interpretations in old sayings like this, but as I have found... I take it to mean that ignorant or so to say, less educated people usually seem happier than those of us who are 'more educated' simply because they do not realise the severity of the situations they put themselves in. A southern sophomore drop out who gets married at 17 and pops out babies every 10 months is happy in her station, but for us on the outside, we know through our experiences that we would never choose that life for ourselves. In her eyes, her ignorance is bliss - she does not see herself as we would see her. And indeed, some of us would envy her happiness. If only we could be so ignorant, perhaps we would be as happy as she, who is barefoot and pregnant walking to her welfare appointments. *Note, this isnt to say all pregnant teenagers are this way, it is only an example. I think that envy does play a part in this saying, for to understand the meaning.

• 1 decade ago

To me it means that the less aware of something you are the less you see all the flaws of it. For example, you might say to someone about somewhere you work like a restaurant: "I will never eat at __ again, you should see how they handle the food, it is so unsanitary!" So if you are not the one working there you might think it was the greatest place ever.

• 1 decade ago

It's the belief that not knowing about something will make you happier than knowing about it. This is one common saying that I don't really agree with BTW.......

True ignorance actually leads to problems that could have been avoided if the parties involved had known all the facts, and acted on that knowledge.

• 1 decade ago

The words aren't literal. It's a "figure of speech".

Ignorance originally meant having had no reason to know about, wonder about or to investigate or define a thing. So to be "ignorant" of something meant one neither took on the hard work of defining its prioritized inner workings nor the responsibility of motivating oneself to have to know about its dangers, promises, and hard-won truths.

Ignorance was bliss because one could be happy in

ignorance of a thing so long as it didn't affect you, or make you put forth any effort in regard to it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.