I am having a debate on the United Nations?

I have to be against the legitimacy of the United nations. Is there any reason why the UN should be disbanded?

Favorite Answer

See, this is what I hate about "Debates" -- you have to artificially argue for something, whether it makes any sense or not.

All I can do is suggest you do some scoping out on the web.

Look for some right-wing blogs, or try some searches in your favorite search engine.

"Out of the U.N."

"arguments against the U.N."

+ "United Nations" +wrong

sorry, but I don't even know what to search for. You'll have to experiment, and see what you find.

The only semi-legit thing I can think of is that it, in a sense, interferes with countries' autonomy.

(But it tends to do so in a good way, such as outlawing invading other countries, and other bad things.)

Or that it's ineffectual (depends on what branches you're looking at, though -- I mean, the social side helps millions of people, children in poverty, refugees, the "security" side hasn't done so well).

BTW, the United Nations has a web site (of course).

You could troll around there, maybe there's stuff in it's historical area, arguments made against it at the time it was created.

Maybe.

At least you can read it's basic purposes and goals. That might either give you a hint as to counter-arguments, or prepare you for what your opposition may argue.

BTW, while doing your research, pay a visit to the

"Universal Declaration of Human Rights"

It lays out all of the rights that every human on the planet should have. Makes a really interesting read.

And check out some of the data available on the site. It's quite the resource for interesting stuff.

• Daniel

I think the UN should be replaced by and International Senate. This Senate would recognize delegates from every nation. This IS would also have a far stronger police force and defense system. The UN is next to worthless. Saddam was one example. How can a country like Iraq hold of weapon inspectors from an international organization? This is ridiculous. The UN is corrupted , too, at least with the former Sec Gen Kofi Annan. Maybe the new can do something to help. Each nation should have two Ambassadors and a proportionate amount of representatives to their repsective populations to vote on international issues.

I think the United Nations would like to see the USA lose its power

Yes, there are many. It is a totally inept organization that gets very little accomplished. It certainly can't be difficult to run a search on U.N. programs and be able to shoot it full of holes.

The United States joined the United Nations by choice, nobody forced us.

We gave our word to abide by the rules set forth by the United Nations.

Now we need to stand on our honor and abide by there rules.

• ?

They are a threat to national sovereignty.

Ineffective, corruption, career politicians, and just general worthlessness would be good for starters. You are lucky, thank god you didn't get stuck with the side that had to justify their worthless existence.

it is a collection of third world crooks.

no but i think they should assert themselves a bit more