Can double glazed glass gas filled can be used to make car windows instead of single glass?

Can double glazed glass gas filled can be used to make car windows instead of single glass?

As it will be more safe if one break and other wont

it will impove the cooling and heating

it will more more sound proof from external noise

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Anything can be done - but it really is not practical to use double glazed glass for automotives. Some of the reasons include:

1) A car windshield is made of two layers of glass bonded together with a thin layer of plastic so if it does break the plastic will hold the broken pieces of glass in place to minimize glass being thrown all over the occupants of the vehicle.

2) Automotive windshields are curved with the curve facing outward to greatly improve the strength and to do this with double pains is exceptionally expensive.

3) Because of the vibration and constant twisting a vehicle encounters during normal operation it would be virtually impossible to make a seal between the two windows that would last the life of the car and therefore moisture would get between the windows and obscure the occupants vision.

4) If a double glazed windshield system is used, it still would have to use the two layers bonded together with the layer of plastic for both panes of glass due to federal safety regulations and the weight of the winshield system would make a significant weight difference in the vehicle.

5) It already can be very expensive to replace a car windshield and a system like you mentioned would be so expensive to replace if it were broken it could easily cost more than the vehicle is worth to replace the windshield.

6) The air conditioning systems in cars can be made more powerful to overcome added thermal gain of a single pain window without a significant difference in fuel economy - the heating system uses heat from the engines cooling system to heat the interior of the vehicle so making the heating system more powerful makes absolutely no difference in fuel economy.

7) The current windows in automotive applications are already so thick for safety reasons that they provide exceptional sound dampening and to use a double glazed system wouldn't really help enough to justify the cost.

I hope my answer was not too long and I hope this helps

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, many prestige cars have double glazing, such as the Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series, thats how they seem be making no noise whatsoever when you're inside them, adds a lot of weight to the car though.

• mike h
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well, in theory it could.

Automotive glass is not plain glass.

It has to meet safety standards and be tempered.

By being tempered, it is less likely to break(harder).

If it does break, it shatters into a million little pieces so as to not cut passengers or rescuers.

The cost of tempered, double paned, safety glass that is gas filled would be prohibitive.

Keep thinking outside of the box though!

• 1 decade ago

oh no! I'm going to have double glazing salesmen round selling me windows for the car next

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Car glass is required to shatter due to safety reasons...wether or not your double glass could be used I don't know it would have to meet certain DOT standards...

• 1 decade ago

Yes, both Mercedes Benz and BMW offer models that have this type of glass.

• 1 decade ago

no because with refraction the distances would be different also it would be unpactical with weight issues

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.