My Fiance and I would like to get married at a catholic church, he is not catholic. Does he need classes?

My fiance and I decided to get married in a catholic church. I am catholic, he is not, does he need to take any relgious courses for the marriage to take place there?

I know i'm a "slackin' catholic" but I can't remember.

• Terry
    Favorite Answer

You can be married in a Roman Catholic Church with little more than some counseling and his signing a contract that the children would be baptized Catholic. However, there can be no Mass or Music. To have a full blown wedding with Mass and communion he would have to become a Roman Catholic, which takes a lot of classes.

It doesn't matter what religion you are, anyone can get married in a Catholic church, it has happened twice in my family. The only thing is you will have to attenend a pre marital course maybe for one or two nights. Just make sure you just have a wedding and tell the preist you don't want a mass as well, because that just takes forever. This is how it happened to my family but we are in Sydney Australia, so wherever you are might be different

He should be a Catholic, but if you go to the priest at that church, he might be able to get you a special dispensation so you can get married. He can either get baptized a Catholic or promise to raise your children as Catholics. Congratulations on your wedding in advance!

He need not convert. You both would need to attend classes for marriage preparation.

He may want to attend RCIA classes just to understand what it means for you to be a Catholic...and you should go too.

Being Catholic is not only about which church you go to - or should be going to- it should be a part of who you are.

Source(s): I teach religious education in a Catholic parish.
  • ?

There will be some pre-wedding meetings with a priest where you'll discuss many issues of a religious nature related to marriage. But he doesn't have to go to RCIA or convert to Catholicism. Contact your local priest for more details. Happy wedding! =)

• kelsoe

<<i'm those days engaged, and making plans to start the RCIA classification in the autumn. i'm a baptized and shown Lutheran. My fiance does no longer attend church yet replaced into raised and shown Catholic. we would choose to be married in the Catholic Church. can we get married previously I finished the RCIA classification?>> Congrats on the engagement. see you later as you hold on with by alongside with your comitment to RCIA, and become a shown Catholic, i do no longer see why this could have any destructive result on you marrying in the Catholic Church. I DO see a difficulty alongside with your fiance. As an inactive Catholic, the priest could be under enthused with bestowing the Holy Sacrament of Matrimony on a lax Catholic. Your fiance suited become an lively Catholic, attending weekly Mass etc. I see your fiance's lax recommendations-set in the direction of the religion as a larger impediment than your RCIA no longer being executed until eventually it sluggish after the marriage. <<additionally, I also have a youthful son from a prior relationship. i replaced into no longer married. he's baptized in the Lutheran church besides. My fiance and that i choose to strengthen our youngsters in the Catholic church. Will this be a difficulty for my son, by fact he replaced into baptized Lutheran and replaced into born out of wedlock?>> the actuality your son replaced into born out of wedlock skill no longer something to the Church as far as your son is in contact. He himself is in no way in charge for being born out of wedlock, so it relatively is not like the Church will refuse him in any way. My spouse's first replaced into born out of wedlock for the time of a prior relationship. He replaced into the hoop-bearer at our wedding ceremony when I married his mom.

You both will have to attend a Marriage class.

Your fiance does not have to convert (but he can if he wants).

Contact your local parish at least six months in advance.

With love in Christ.

You both need to go to pre-cana together. I married a catholic girl. The only awkward moment was when the Priest took my hands and made me swear to bring the kids up catholic. What a crock!

More than that, unless things have changed.. he has to confirm that your children will be raised Catholic, etc.

No, he needs therapy - to put up with the condemnation he will receive the rest of his life for not being Catholic ....

Make sure you judge him as often as possible, like a good little Catholic should!!