Which is correct (English)?

Consider the following two sentences:

He thought, "I should remember the facts as they are presented," and then said, "I'll remember them."

He thought, I should remember the facts as they are presented, and then said, "I'll remember them."

Which is correct, or are both correct .

Please explain your decision.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The first one is correct. The quotations show the exact words he was thinking (just like when someone is speaking). The quotation marks are necessary in order for the sentence to be absolutely clear.

If you don't use the quotation marks the sentence should be converted into reported speech, i.e. He thought he should remember the facts as they were presented, and then he said he would remember them.

• 1 decade ago

I think the second one is right because he thought it he didn't say it so it shouldn't be in quotation marks, only if he thought it out loud I guess. I don't know this is a tuff one! I also thought maybe this way...

He thought, I should remember the facts as they are presentedd. Then he said, "I'll remember them."

I guess it depends on the context in which it is being used. I am not sure though, I'm not an English teacher or anything.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The first is correct because it has the quotes in both places. Thoughts are typically contained within quotes. It's kind of like talking, i suppose.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think the second one is correct. Because he only says the second part of the sentence, he thinks the first.

However, his thoughts stand out more when they are in quotations.

Is this a trick question?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The first one. You need the quotation marks for everything he says.

• 4 years ago

click the following for the subsequent step. or click the following to proceed to the subsequent step. The sentence you wrote isn't impressive. both of those might want to artwork as a alternative for the sentence and may want to positioned across the same which skill.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.