Pokemon Fire Red And Emerald Problems?

I have 2 Gameboy Sps, I have a Link Cable, I read the booklets and they say i can trade between Fire Red and Emerald. I have the National Dex in both games. I have beaten the elite four in both games. I have gotten the ruby and sapphire thing in fire red. It says i can use a link cable but, when i try to trade... show more I have 2 Gameboy Sps, I have a Link Cable, I read the booklets and they say i can trade between Fire Red and Emerald.
I have the National Dex in both games.
I have beaten the elite four in both games.
I have gotten the ruby and sapphire thing in fire red.
It says i can use a link cable but, when i try to trade pokemon between games i cant.
I go to the 2nd floor of a Poke Center and go to the place that allows me to trade with a link cable. i talk to the women and she saves my game and then says please wait press B to cancel. (Not exact words). I have both games hooked up and saying the, Please wait Press B to cancel, thing but nothing happens. ive waited for like 5 minutes and they still said the same thing! nothing at all happened! Why is this? How can i fix it? and no i dont have any other pokemon games all i got are Fire Red and Emerald
Update: My link cable is about 3-4 years old but never been used