Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

I have just been given prozac for pmdd will this work?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) is a much more severe form of the collective symptoms known as premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) affects approximately 3 percent to 9 percent of women of reproductive age and is considered a severe and chronic medical condition that requires attention and treatment.

What causes PMDD?

Although the exact cause of PMDD is not known, several theories have been proposed. One theory states that women who experience PMDD may have abnormal reactions to normal hormone changes that occur with each menstrual cycle. This may include fluctuation of estrogen and progesterone levels that normally occurs with menstruation, causing a serotonin deficiency, in some women (serotonin is a substance found naturally in the brain and intestines that acts as a vessel-narrowing substance, or vasoconstrictor). Additional research is necessary.

While any woman can develop PMDD, the following women may be at an increased risk for the condition;

-Women with a personal or family history of mood disorders.

-Women with a personal or family history of postpartum depression.

Women with a personal or family history of depression

What are the symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder?

The primary symptoms that distinguish PMDD from other mood disorders such as major depression or menstrual conditions, is the onset and duration of PMDD symptoms.

For instance, the symptoms appearing during the week before and disappear within a few days after the onset of menstruation. And also, the level by which PMDD symptoms disrupt daily living tasks. As symptoms of PMDD can be so severe that women have an impaired level of functioning at home, at work, and in interpersonal relationships during this symptomatic time period. This diminished level of functioning is generally in great contrast with the same woman's interactions and abilities at other times during the month.

The following are the most common symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently.

Psycological symptoms may include:

-Psychological symptoms

-Irritability

-Nervousness

- Impulsivity &/or lack of control

-Aggitation

-Inapproprite anger

-Insomnia & Night terrors or nightmares

-Difficulty in concentrating

-Severe lethargy & fatigue

-Depression

-Hallucinations & paranoia

-Anxiety

-Confusion & forgetfulness

-Significant decreased pereption of self-image

-Emotional hypersensitivity including crying spells & moodiness

-Increased headache &/or migraine

-Vertigo & syncope (fainting)

Physical symptoms may include;

-Fluid retention & edema (swelling of the ankles, hands, and feet)

-Periodic weight gain

-Oliguria (diminished urine formation)

-Breast fullness, tenderness, and pain

- Respiratory problems such as shortness, tachypnoeia or rapid breathing,m and asthma

-Increased hypersensativity to allergens and infections

-Eye and visual complaints such as conjunctivitis

- Excessive abdominal cramping, bloating, constipation, nausea, vomiting, pelvic heaviness or pressure and

backache.

-Skin problems including acne, neurodermatitis (skin inflammation with itching), & aggravation of other skin disorders, including cold sores.

-Numbness, altered sensation, or heightened sensitivity of arms and/or legs

-Easy bruising

-Heart palpitations

-Muscle spasms

-Decreased coordination

-Diminished libido (sex drive)

-Appetite changes including food cravings & anorexia/bulemia

-Hot flushes

The symptoms of PMDD may resemble other conditions or medical problems, such as a thyroid condition, depression, or an anxiety disorder. Always consult a physician for a diagnosis.

Aside from a complete medical history and physical and pelvic examination, diagnostic procedures for PMDD are currently very limited. Your physician may consider recommending a psychiatric evaluation to, more or less, provide a differential diagnosis (to rule out other possible conditions). In addition, he/she may ask that you keep a journal or diary of your symptoms for several months, to better assess the timing, severity, onset, and duration of symptoms. In general, in order for a PMDD diagnosis to be made, the following symptoms must be present:

-over the course of a year, during most menstrual cycles, five or more of the following symptoms must be present:

-depressed mood

-anger or irritability

-difficulty in concentrating

-lack of interest in activities once enjoyed

-moodiness

-increased appetite

-insomnia or hypersomnia

-feeling overwhelmed or out of control

-other physical symptoms

-symptoms that disturb social, occupational, or physical functioning

-symptoms that are not related to, or exaggerated by, another medical condition

Several of the following treatment approaches may help alleviate or decrease the severity of PMDD symptoms:

-dietary modifications (to increase protein and carbohydrates and decrease sugar, salt, caffeine, and alcohol intake)

-regular exercise

-stress management

-vitamin supplements (i.e., vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium)

-anti-inflammatory medications & of course,

-selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) & oral contraceptives (ovulation inhibitors).

Prozac is also known as a drug called Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitor or SSRI's. Their action is that it prevents the rapid uptake of the brain chemical Serotonin believed to promote psychological and physical happiness. By reducing the uptake of Serotonin, Prozac is believed to increase the evels of Serotonin in the brain thereby minimising depression and promoting happiness. For PMDD, Prozac would be prescribed if depression symptoms were a significant aspect of the disease.

Studies have shown that SSRI's are by far the most effective medical treatment of depression, anxiety and compulsive disorders in history. However, like every medication it affects each individual differently. Upon it's FDA approval about 10 years ago or so, there was some controversey in the media regarding Prozac's relationship with violent and aggressive outbursts among some people of who which it was prescribed. Due to this, its popularity in prescription has reduced significantly. And consequently, there has been mass production of over 10 types of different SSRI's. Zoloft, Aropax, Cipromil spring to mind. Side affects aside, it is effective at treating the symptoms of depression associated with PMDD including appetite, insomnia, aggitiation, and in some cases, pain.

Prozac has side-effects of nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, and dizziness which usually pass within a couple of days. To reach the full benifit of the drug, you may be advised to stay on it for two weeks or more for the drug to work on your systems. Hopefully, this drug in combination with the other management strategies mentioned will assist you in managing the symptoms of your PMDD more effectively.

Source(s): Frisch. NC. & Frisch. LE. (2005). Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. Thomson Learning. England. UK Norman L. Keltner. NL., Carol E. Bostrom. CE., Lee Hilyard Schwecke. LH, Carol. E., {MsN}, {ApRN}., Bostrom. C, Lee Hilyard. L, {MsN}, Edd Schwecke. E, {RN}. (2002). Psychiatric Nursing. Elsevier Science Health Science. Philadelphia: USA Schultz. JM., Sheila Dark Videbeck. SD., Sheila. L. Videbeck. SL, {PhD}. (2001). Lippincott's Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Baltimore, MD. USA Townsend. MC. (2005). Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: Concepts of Care. FA Davis Co. New York. USA Varcarolis. EM., Verna Benner. C., Nancy Christine Shoemaker. NC. (2005). Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: A Clinical Approach Elsevier Science Health Science: New York. Wiscarz Stuart. G. & Sundeen. SJ. (1994). Principles & Practice of Psychiatric Nursing. With Quick Psychopharmacology Reference. Elsevier Science Health Science. Philadelphia: USA
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes - Prozac can have a dramatic and great effect on pmdd!

I was on Prozac for six weeks, due to suffering both extreme PMS and also depression. The Prozac reduced the PMS by 95 per cent - and believe me, my PMS was seriously bad!

So it's definitely worth a try. Bear in mind it might take a few weeks to get into your system, though I've read that for PMS or PMDD it actually works a lot faster!

By the way: if you also experience terrible pain as part of the PMDD, then another medication that helps a lot is Citalopram; that reduced my pain dramatically. NOTE: Citalopram is also an anti depressant, you can't take it at the same time as Prozac.

• Gladys
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I'm not sure what you are saying by pmdd? It that bad period cramps or premenstrual syndrome? I take Prozac and I have not noticed an improvement nor any side effects. Don't worry, and try out the antidepressants and see if they work for you. If you have bad period pains then ask him for a pain medication during your cycles.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes prozac will work but you will have to be patient as like most medication it takes time to build up in your system you wont feel the benefit from it straight away' but you will graualy feel better over a few days so please persevere with it as it will make you feel like a new person prozac is the relitively new wonder drug and is used quite often for deppression to and it does work at least it did for me

Source(s): miss t
  • 4 years ago

Some thyroid disorders can be cured, but many require lifetime treatment. Learn here https://tr.im/fWRys

For example, sometimes early stage thyroid cancer can be cured by surgery to remove the thyroid gland, but you will need to take thyroid hormone medication afterwards for the rest of your life. Goiters can also be surgically removed and do not always recur after surgery. In most cases, thyroid disorders need treatment over a lifetime. However, with treatment most people with thyroid disorders can live normal, healthy lives.

• 4 years ago

Use a dash of cinnamon to provide fruits such as bananas in addition to melons a richer dessert feel without worrying about sugar.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Distracted dining is certain to get you in trouble. Avoid eating facing a television or in a movie theatre, as you're bound to consume more calories.

• 3 years ago

Snack attack! Puree peaches, berries or pears for a sweet spread to be pita chips.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Edamame (soy beans) are a great low-cost snack. Look on their behalf in the frozen foods part.

• 4 years ago

People who regularly weigh themselves and monitor their progress in a journal are more inclined to lose weight.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.