Will pepper deter squirrels if I sprinkle it around my gladiolas? Or, what other household item would help?

I have the bulbs planted in pots so I can have them in full sun, as my garden is a shade garden. I was thinking about bringing in the pots in the evening and then put them out again in the morning. I'd rather not move them in and out each day, but don't want the squirrels digging them all up! Any ideas?... show more I have the bulbs planted in pots so I can have them in full sun, as my garden is a shade garden. I was thinking about bringing in the pots in the evening and then put them out again in the morning. I'd rather not move them in and out each day, but don't want the squirrels digging them all up! Any ideas? Please don't say get a dog. I have one. As much as he'd love being outside all night on squirrel duty, I'm not going to give him that option.