Are USDA home loans a good way to go?

My hubby and I have applied for a USDA loan. we met with the lady, she said we would be approved based on what we provided. We are waiting for all employment information to be returned to prove everything we said is correct. I am worried that we will have an outrageous interest rate since the paperwork said if... show more My hubby and I have applied for a USDA loan. we met with the lady, she said we would be approved based on what we provided. We are waiting for all employment information to be returned to prove everything we said is correct. I am worried that we will have an outrageous interest rate since the paperwork said if we borrowed $135,000, we would repay $266,000. We are 1st time buyers and have no idea how or where to begin with buying a house. I dont want to sign the dotted line without knowing if I can pay off the debt or not. I am set to graduate in 2009, so I know we will have the money to pay a larger house payment then, but we need our own home now. Renting isn't cuttting it. Anyone else go the same route as we are going? Any advice?