Would you support a total repeal of the USA PATRIOT act?

The USA PATRIOT act gave unprecedented power to federal investigators. It allowed for an almost total invasion of privacy without need for a warrant. This was all done in the name of fighting terrorism and there is some evidence that it has helped. There is also staggering evidence that the power granted has been mis-used. The FBI has admitted to conducting searches on persons without the slightest evidence that they may be involved in terrorist activities.

Just recently, congress voted to repeal a small portion of the USA PATRIOT act that opens public library records to investigators. That portion allowed investigators to track the reading habits of EVERY library patron. So, doig the research for your homework report on modern weapons could actually trigger a deeper investigation into your life.

Bush has promised to veto anything that adversely affects the USA PATRIOT ACT.

The news story is here:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0616/dailyUpdate.htm...

For those of you who think that the FBI, CIA, and NSA were unable to conduct effective investigations prior to the USA PATRIOT act, you are mistaken. In fact, the CIA director George Tenet admitted that they had significant intel warnig of an attack but had "dropped the ball" by not following it up.

• carole
    Favorite Answer

I personally think that the Patriot Act helps Bush in 2 ways - by alerting of possible terrorism and by maintaining the status quo on American citizens (keeping the rich rich and the poor poor - perhaps again attempting for a 2 class sytem?).

The major flag seems to be receiving a large (or larger than usual) amount of money - and paired with OFAC their investigation can go on with you never being notified. It has so scared organization like PayPal and eBay that people trying to increase sales and profits are targetted for investigation and money returned to satisfied customers even. It is so way out of control - I would support a total recall while a revamp is put together.

Peace!

• j

Yes, I would support a total repeal of the Patriot Act. There is, and was, no need for this type of legislation. I would also support a total repeal of the Military Commissions Act as well. These two pieces of legislation pretty much eroded what was left of the Constitution.

Yeah, I believe it has run its effective course and now should be repealed. I believe that the PATRIOT Act was a "comfort" act after 9/11, which made people feel safer from terrorism. However, now almost 6 years later it's lost its value.

Just wait for Partriot Act 2

• paul s

We are being allowed to believe that there are not people who are still committed to seeing your childs head on a pike. We are learning to bleat like sheep because it is easier to pretend that they are not there at all. I think that is a mistake but I know that I am in the minority. Revising yes, repealing no.

I wouldn't support a total repeal unless there was a very strong and logical replacement in place. That said, I think a non-partisan commission should be in place to be a watchdog against abuse.

YES, with all the scandals in this adm staff who would trust them with their bending of the Patriot Act such as torture camps.

I'll vote for the first candidate who vows to do just that! So far, my money's on Ron Paul.

The patriot act is stupid. It destroyed freedom.

If we repeal the Patriot Act then I hope you like letting terrorists plan attacks and finance them under you nose and no one can do anything. That would be stupid.