Does it make sense to fire a "conditioning coach" due to on field performances by the ball-players..?

Yanks Give Strength and Conditioning Coach Axe

Miller Casualty of Slow Start Despite Short Tenure

By PAUL J. WEBER

AP Sports

ARLINGTON, Texas (May 2) - The New York Yankees fired their strength and conditioning coach Wednesday following a rash of injuries to the pitching staff that has contributed to the team's poor start.

Marty Miller was hired by the Yankees in the offseason as director of performance enhancement. He had been with the club only a few months.

"It got to the point where the perception is there's a problem here," general manager Brian Cashman said.

The 34-year-old Miller will be replaced on an interim basis by Dana Cavalea, who was Miller's assistant.

The latest injury to New York 's depleted staff came Tuesday night, when Phil Hughes carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning of his second major league start before a hamstring injury knocked him out of the game against the Texas Rangers . The 20-year-old right-hander, considered one of the top prospects in baseball, is expected to miss four to six weeks.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

i believe so, when your players dont even try during the first half of the season, that goes back to the summer league and how the conditioning coach tried to handle the team

• 1 decade ago

I am a die hard Yankees fan but I do think Miller's firing was justified. A lot of the problems have stemmed from hurt players and that can be a sign that he wasn't doing his job. Although, in his defense the beginning of the season was colder than usual and rainy and that is how Matsui and some others got hurt. Moving on, Miller is not the only one responsible - Derek Jeter was quoted as saying that Torre doesn't deserve to be fired because he's not out there playing and pitching and I agree. When you get paid millions of dollars a season you should have more to show for it!!

• 1 decade ago

It does to a certain degree. When you have a professional responsible for players staying in shape and healthy, then something might be wrong if you go through that many pitchers. Last year was not much different. But looking at the roster, it's almost no surprise that the pitchers are constantly on the DL. Some are old, some are TOO young, and others have been injury plagued throughout their careers. But it is sole purpose to the team to try to fix the problem, and he failed to do so.

• 1 decade ago

Even though I think he shouldn't be the only one, I would say yes it does make sense. Isn't it his job to handle the players conditioning? For some reason there have been way too many injuries for this early in the season. The argument could be made to say that they are freak accidents but if the conditioning of the players had been handled better and they did their pre-game stretches correctly then maybe this question wouldn't have been asked.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's possible. Injuries and ailments can have a lot to do with a players' performance or lack thereof. If you pay $194 million in payroll and 2/3 of your projected starting rotation (Wang, Mussina, Hughes, and Pavano, who is a walking DL waiting to happen) and 2/3 of your starting outfield (Matsui and Damon) is either on the DL or waiting to go on the DL and you're 10-14, something has to give. You can't push athletes too hard and have them not perform because they're hurt most of the time.

• 1 decade ago

From what i know of the situation it wasn't strictly on field performance or even all the injuries. That stuff played a part but from what I heard it was more that the players didn't but into his system and the majority of them didn't use it. They had there own trainers and he basically didn't do anything. The one thing I know you can't blame on him is the Hughes injury. Come on, the guy had only been with the team for a week, the minor league had way more to do with him. I don't work for the team or anything, but something had to be done and this guy unfortunately took the fall for it.

• 1 decade ago

If you are basing the firing on the "field performances" only the conditioning coach prob. is not the culprit - however If there are a lot of injuries - the conditioning coach is probably not doing a good job.

e

• 1 decade ago

When it comes to a lot of the players getting put on the DL, yes it does. It is the coaches responsibility to make sure the players are in great condition for the stretch.

• 1 decade ago

Of course it makes sense. 5 players down with Hamstring injuries in the first few weeks of season in which a new trainer comes in and changes the routine, takes out most of the calistentics and even players are quoted as saying they disagree with the new trainer and try to do their own thing because they don't believe in what he is doing.They don't even run anymore. It's a no brainer. On field performances? Do you even follow the Yanks? It has nothing to do with their performance on field, its due to their injuries from improper training.

• 1 decade ago

the firing has less to do with on-field performance than with the fact that half the yankees starting rotation is out with some sort of injury, most of which seem to be "conditioning" issues.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's not about on-field performance. It's about injuries.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.