Can I connect a Linksys wireless router to my DSL modem/wireless router?

I just switched from cable modem to DSL. The DSL modem also has a built-in wireless router. The signal is very weak though. You can't access it all around the house. I have a nice wireless Linksys router that I know is stronger. can I connect the Linksys router to the DSL/wireless router to get a stronger signal?

Best Answer

yes you can do it

you need to do a few things first the wireless modem / router

do you have a Westell 327W? as thats' what I have...

you turn off the firewall and DCHP on your modem...

With this setup you are going to use the Linksys' WAN port. This is what gives your firewall. So here you will need to set a

static IP address in the Linksys router's "Internet Settings" section on the "Basic Configuration" page - discussed below.

For this configuration you are putting each router on it's own local network, so you will have each router use a different

number in the third octet of it's local IP address (not the Internet IP address assigned to the WAN port). So...set the

Versalink to VC mode to "Bridged" or "VLAN Bridged" instead of "Routed Bridged".

This is done through Configuration --> Advanced WAN --> WAN.

Choose the proper VC and then set the protocol under VC Configuration to "Bridged" and the protocol under "Bridged Settings"

to "Bridged" or "VLAN Bridged" and not "Routed Bridged".

For your local LAN setup (not the internet WAN port), make sure you are using static IP addresses on the Versalink router and

not DHCP. This makes it easier to administer both routers.

Turn off the local DHCP on the Versalnik by going to Configuration --> Advanced LAN --> Private LAN, and uncheck DHCP.

Say the local IP address of your Linksys router is 192.168.50.1. Give your Versalink a local address with a different third

octet: 192.168.10.1. You assign the local address on the Versalink under Configuration --> Advanced LAN --> Private LAN

settings.

Now the routers are on different local networks.

At this point you have to provide a way for the Linksys and Versalink routers to communicate. You do this by putting the

Linksys' WAN port (which is different than the four ethernet ports on the Linksys) on the same network as the Versalink

router. This is done with the "Internet Settings" section at the top of the main "Basic Configuration" page. This is the top

section on the main basic configuration page. The section above the section entitled "Network Setup" on that main page.

"Internet Settings" controls the WAN port.

"Network Setup" controls the ethernet ports and is the local setup for the in house portion of router: DHCP to your PCs, etc.

Go to the Linksys router's main configuration page.

Under "Internet Settings" or "Internet Connection Type" select "Static IP".

A series of boxes should now appear allowing you to type in an IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and static DNS addresses.

The IP address here will use the same first three octets used in your Vesalink router. In our example that was

192.168.10.XXX, because Versalink's IP address is 192.168.10.1.

So in the Linksys router you type 192.168.10.2. This assigns the Linksys' WAN port the IP address of 192.168.10.2 and puts

the WAN port on the same network as the Versalink router.

Set the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

For our example the Linksys' gateway address would be set to 192.168.10.1 (the Versalink router), because your DSL connection

is through the Versalink.

Leave the DNS settings empty.

Now the routers can talk to each other, and by using the Linksys WAN port, all the information passed to the Linksys will

pass through the Linksys' firewall.

Now plug an ethernet cable into the Linksys' WAN port, and plug the other end into one of the Versalink's four ethernet

ports.

If you use static IP addresses on your PC's, make sure you set the Gateway address to the same address you used for the

static IP address for the Linksys WAN port. In our example that was 192.168.10.2.

keep in mind you might have to plug back and forth to set IPs on both the modem and the linksys router, it's also best to keep the network config window open so you can change you r gateway server from the linksys or the modem if you are using static IPs and make changes to any of the pc ( epscially if your static IPs are different than the ones in my example ), you can also set them to get IP automatically and then after you got a worknig connection fix the ips on the computers.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I just switched from cable modem to DSL. The DSL modem also has a built-in wireless router. The signal is very weak though. You can't access it all around the house. I have a nice wireless Linksys router that I know is stronger. can I connect the Linksys router to the DSL/wireless router to get...

Source(s): connect linksys wireless router dsl modem wireless router: https://shortly.im/wqjMR

You can use the Linksys wireless router as an access point or as a router.

To have it as a router, take the output (using a cable) from the DSL Modem and attach it to the left most socket. You can identify it with a visibly different print around it. This way you will have to configure the DHCP on the Linksys router to assign IPs to the computers connecting to it.

To have it work like an access point (that does not do any address translation), take the output from the DSL Modem and attach it to ANY socket but the one that says "Connect Internet Here" (The one with a visibly different print around it). doing so you don't need to do any configuration and your DSL router that is definitely configured by your service provider will do the DHCP stuff.

Good luck

• kellen

Linksys Dsl Modem

It is very difficult to connect two routers. You can connect the DSL modem to the linksys router though. It helps if your isp provider supports the linksys though. Trust me I know! Worked for dsl company. Good Luck

• Daniel4 years agoReport

I gave a question of you could answer.

I wouldn't do that, but if you do you have to put the dsl modem/router in bridge modem. You can access the GUI (graphical user interface) of your modem/router and boost the wireless power level and the wireless channel call your isp for help tell them you want to raise the wireless power level to 10 by default it is only on 4

Just connect your adsl modems LAN port to the linksys's DSL, Internet, or whatever port it has(preferably not the lan ports which are numbered 1,2,3,4 etc. Although they may work also if it has nothing else.) with normal ethernet cable.

Sure you could. Just connect the network cable of the DSL modem to the "Internet" port of the router, then connect another network cable (provided with the router), one end to an "Ethernet" port of the router and the other end to your computer's network adapter.

i agree with the second comment it will only work if the modem is connected to the router and the xbox will have to be able to access wireless internet

I don't see why not. just connect to the linksys router