Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 1 decade ago

Fantasy Baseball and Which Free agent to pick up?

Help me with my fantasy baseball team? Thank you?

I play in a 8 team private league on yahoo fantasy sports. We play normal yahoo point system in a head to head league .I need to know where my weaknesses are and what I should Do about them, Any help would be appreciated.

C Michael Barret

1B Jason Giambi

2B BJ Upton

SS Jose Reyes

3B Alex Rodriguz

OFAlfonso Soriano

OF Alex Rios

OF Nick Markakis

Util Travis Hafner

SP Rich Hill

SP John Maine

RP Salmon Torres

RP JJ Putz

P Brian Fuentes

P Joe Borowski

Bench Tom Glavine

Bench Greg Maddux

Free Agent for each position

CA.J. Pierzynski

Jason Varitek

Bengie Molina

Johnny Estrada

Javy López

Jason Kendall

1B Richie Sexson

Jeff Kent

Nomar Garciapara

Adam Laroche

OF Bill Hall

Mark Teahen

Gary Matthews

ken griffey

raul ibanez

brad hawpe

corey patterson

nick swisher

pat burrel

mike cameron

geoff jenkins

josh hamilton

Thank you for the advice.

Favorite Answer

Your OF and your SP's are your weakest links. Why you are carrying 4 closers with 17 person rosters (small!!) is beyond me. You might win saves, but you short yourself in other categories. I'm sure someone else could use a closer. You could package one with Markakis for a SP or an OF. Markakis is by far your weakest offensive player and the only one I would be looking to move. Of all of the OF's available, the most valuable will be Hall, who can fill in at multiple positions on slow schedule days. Next would be Teahen, and he can also be plugged into 3B on days A-Rod is off. Ibanez would be 3rd choice. But you really, really need to add a solid SP. In a smaller league like that, it is hard, because you could maybe trade a closer and Barrett for a SP, then add a C off of the FA wire. Stay away from Molina, Kendall and Lopez isn't even playing!!!

You need to sell B.J. Upton high to your competition. He is going to get much worse based on his strikeout to walk ratio and you can get a lot for him at this point. Your OF is good I don't like how markakis is producing but I would stick with him. You should be more worried about your pitching staff rather than your hitting because you only truly have a weakness at catcher that you can fix by trading Upton n Barret for a solid one and then picking up Jeff Kent (1B and 2B) as your Second Baseman. Then you'd have fantastic hitting lineup. Maybe trade some of your Outfielders like Markakis or Rios for a Starting Pitcher or Relief Pitcher and just pick up Bill Hall, Gary Matthews Jr., Nick Swisher, Pat Burrell, or Josh Hamilton. I'd say your biggest problem is your Relief Pitching. Salomon should be dropped or traded immediately, and the other guys are mediocre. Try trading up and paying attention to the Free Agent Wire to see if you can find a diamond in the rough for relief pitching. Your team should do fine in an 8 team league, but it is going to need some trades or luck to make it to 1st place.

if you want or need saves, I'd go with either Jones or Lidge. They are proven closers on good teams. They'll win lots of games, which means lots of save opportunities. Gregg or Capps would be your next best bet. They would be better if they were on a better team, but then again, they probably wouldn't be the closer if they were on a better team. They are both unproven (1 year doesn't say anything about a closer - this has been proven plenty of times.), and they aren't on good teams. If you want an extra starter, go ahead and take Greinke. Ryan is one of those high-risk/high-reward type of players. He could possibly save 35 games, but ever since he's been with the Jays, he hasn't gotten a chance to, due to injuries. Owens and Fuentes are both now fantasy trash, seeing as they aren't closers, anymore. If Gregg or Corpas get hurt, though, then I'd include them in the picture. So bottom line, I'd go with either Jones or Lidge, first.

if i were you i would uprgrade your pitching staff. For hitting you have proven stars like giambi, reyes, a-rod, soriano, and hafner. Those guys alone could carry your team. Your pitching needs help so either trade for someone or try to get a pitcher that will get you wins and is consistent

Gary Matthews Jr. is playing good baseball right now. He would be a good pick up.

you should definitley pick up Varitek for a catcher. Drop Giambi. He hasn't been very consistent so far this season, and it looks to me like he wont be so good this year. Instead of Giambi you could try Laroche or Sexson.

your team is ok. if you count batter strikeouts then youre in trouble. glaus and soriano and barret and giambi get punched out a lot.

i definately think josh johnson and geoff jenkins can start in most leagues.

fuentes?? look for james shields. or scot olsen. or atleast just throw glavine in there

Mathews is a definte.

Good Luck

M

drop markakis and definately get bill hall or matthews jr. and drop borrowski b/c his job is really in jepordy he has an awfull era and whip.. try and get mett capps or a set- up guy they usually have a low era and whip and can also get some saves

• Jeremy

how is bill hall an FA... add him also add jeff kent (upton cant stay this hot all year)