How do I stop Panic Attacks before they start?

I get frequent panic attacks after my "run in" with a heart problem I had a year ago. Panic attacks for me comes in waves and does not leave me for 3 - 4 days. It makes me feel very scared and depressed and I am edgy all the time. I keep feeling pain sensations in my chest, back and arm and can't get over the feeling - that I am going to die or get a heart attack.

I did go to the doctor and my heart specialist. They can't find anything unusual in my heart ...they have given me some medications for this panic disorder - xanax - but that freaks me out and the withdrawal symptoms are awful. Thanks

Favorite Answer

a panic attack is the worst type of anxiety...

it means that you haven't used proper coping mechanisms when the anxiety started as mild, then turned to moderate, then to severe, and lastly into panic attacks...

your symptoms such as your chest pains and other referred pain may be the result of your anxiety.

your body reacts to what you are feeling so your heart beats too fast, that makes your chest painful...(since it pumps faster and lesser oxygen-rich blood is circulated to the body)

think of ways to deal with your anxiety, so that you will not get to the panic state...because if ur already in the panic state, the anxiety meds (anxiolytics) wont work unless you lessen the level of your anxiety back to severe, then to moderate...then if possible to mild...

honestly, it is hard to do that..so people just try to pop anxiety meds..

xanax is a potent drug...(meaning its very effective)

but if it worsens your condition, if you feel worse after taking it, then that's not the anxiolytic for you..

Diazepam (Valium) is a milder one....and yet effective

unless you're not in the panic state...

so i hope that answers your question....take the drug once you feel you are a bit anxious..

but the best way to manage that is through non-pharmacologic means...

do some of your hobbies, make yourself busy

talk to your friends, eat, cook,

listen to music, enjoy yourself,

dealing with anxiety varies from people to people..

you just have to know whats the best coping strategy for you..

thanks

my last husband had panic disorder to the extreme! he found a workbook called: anxiety and panic workbook, you can find it on e-bay cheap. this book and help from doctors changed his life. panic attacks do come in waves, they can make you feel like you are going to die. what happens is you have an attack with all the things you said you feel and more. then your body and mind start to worry about another panic attack so you are constantly feeling like you are on the verge of another attack. therapy is great for this and find a good doctor that will prescribe you something like bus par which is for anxiety, and the only drugs to stop a panic attack in it's tracks are xanax and kolonipin, but you should use them sparingly as they are addictive. look up on the internet or go to a library and you will find all kinds of helpful books. learn all you can and then start putting the knowledge into action. it works just don't give up because it may seem like it's not working but i promise you it will work. best wishes to you!

Source(s): i too suffer from anxiety and panic disorder

Have you talked to the doctor about the panic attacks. I'm not sure what to say since it seems you have heart problems separate from the panic attacks. My panic attacks made me to think I was going to die. I didn't know what was going on and plus they always happened while I was driving. Go to the doctor as soon as you can. Tell them the problem and they will evaluate you. Make sure you tell them in great detail. When I first went in, I made it sound like my allergies or sinuses were acting up. After they evaluate you, they will probably prescribe medication. You need to follow the directions exactly.

Source(s): Experience.

Learn to think about the situations,or avoid them entirely, and think about what is happening more calmly. Think about how you might control what you can, and try not to worry about what you can not change. Life will go on, whether you panic or not.

Get some relaxing music you can do deep breathing to.

Try to go for a walk to burn up some of the extra oxygen you are pumping through your system.

Try writing things down.

It really is a matter of life and death to you, because this stress is heavily involved in arterial disease and high blood pressure. You can also get other heart problems, such as a strained valve from the associated high heart rate.

Improve your diet as if you have advanced heart disease. You might.

Source(s): I get panic like "attacks" watching exciting movies. I finally had a strained heart valve, and a year later triple bypass sugery for blocked arteries. I have to go with calmer movies, and less sports.
  • Linda

I am so happy, it was only a 35 minute drive ( 70 minutes total) but absolutely no sign of anxiety or panic i shopped till I dropped - brilliant! I will now go for the next stage DUAL CARRIAGE way, probably at the weekend, with my husband accompanying me first then the solo drive, if successful the final stage of driving on motorway

Beat Anxiety And Panic Attacks Naturally?

Sounds difficult, I'm sorry for you and all the others. My friend suffered from them, and they put her on Paxil, or something similar for awhile, and it helped her alot. Her doc told her that avoiding situations, first , then, recognizing the symptoms for what they are. Instead of trying to fight them, recognize as, OK this is another panic attack, I know it won't kill me, I know I have to get my mind in another place. Kinda like talking herself out of them, and at the same time, recognizing them for what they are. Also, her doc told her excercise regularly, no alcohol, and ativan for the especially bad times. Too, that man has alot of built up adrenaline we don't use anymore. Like in the old times, man had alot of situations where he really needed 'fright or flight' to stay alive, and in today's world, we don't have as many (you know like, in the cave man days!!! man had a lot more imminent physical danger) So, we were wired with the capacity to experience those surges for a reason. So, excercise makes sense, so, we get rid of pent up adrenaline in a healthy way. It made alot of sense when it was explained that way. Good luck, hope you get ahold of things soon. Life is for living, not fleeing.

I think that you should do a few things. One, see your doctor again, to make sure you are 100% healthy now. That will help to put your mind at ease. Two, find a psychiatrist who can evaluate your situation, and together with him/her, possibly receive a prescription for medications that can get you past this point; since it appears that you need help just to function right now. Three, find a therapist that you feel comfortable talking with (and that your insurance takes), and make a weekly appointment. In my experience, these are the three steps to help you ASAP. Good luck, I know you can do it!

Source(s): Personal and professional experience.
  • What tou should do is relax your self calm ur nerves stop thinking about it but when u do just relax take a few deep breath and jus relax as the more u r thinking about it the more ur hurtin urself .

best ways to deal with this is

just relax and take few deep breath an think about something else

talk to friends family members or someone u trust on how u feel

try and go places where u can relax ur self and clear ur mind about these feelings

the more u try to relax and calm ur nerves the more ur body becomes relax and these anxities will go away

good luck and take care

relaxation tapes can help cease a panic attack youtube has some relaxation videos you can try

i think they come from overthinking about certain situations ; so when you are thinking of an issue and its starts bothering you focus on something different