How do I stop Panic Attacks before they start?

I get frequent panic attacks after my "run in" with a heart problem I had a year ago. Panic attacks for me comes in waves and does not leave me for 3 - 4 days. It makes me feel very scared and depressed and I am edgy all the time. I keep feeling pain sensations in my chest, back and arm and can't get... show more I get frequent panic attacks after my "run in" with a heart problem I had a year ago. Panic attacks for me comes in waves and does not leave me for 3 - 4 days. It makes me feel very scared and depressed and I am edgy all the time. I keep feeling pain sensations in my chest, back and arm and can't get over the feeling - that I am going to die or get a heart attack.
Update: I did go to the doctor and my heart specialist. They can't find anything unusual in my heart ...they have given me some medications for this panic disorder - xanax - but that freaks me out and the withdrawal symptoms are awful. Thanks