Does being in the army reserves hurt my chances of being a cop?

I was told two seperate things. 1. My recruiter said that having 180 days of active service qualifies me for veteran's preference and that means I automatically go to the top of any civil service test list. and would therefore only have to compete with others with military experience for police jobs. and he... show more I was told two seperate things.
1. My recruiter said that having 180 days of active service qualifies me for veteran's preference and that means I automatically go to the top of any civil service test list. and would therefore only have to compete with others with military experience for police jobs. and he said that police forces generally like seeing NG, AR applicants.

2.my uncle on the other hand (retired green beret and current cop) said that having military experience only gets you 5 extra points on your civil service test score, and that most departments stay away from people with reserve status because they don't want you getting called up when you're supposed to be working for them. he said he's seen people turned down for jobs in his department just because they were army reserves.

I want to join the reserves, but I want to do it to HELP my chances of being a cop, not hurt them. any advice? this is in New Jersey, btw.