What kind of wine goes best with thai food?

I'm having takeout thai for dinner tonight and want to know what kind of (cheapish) wine to go with it. Any suggestions?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I have a lot of experience with wine and with food. While I am not Thai, I can confidently say that I have never had a red wine that went well with the spicy flavors.

Instead, one of my absolute favorite wine and food pairings is spicy Thai food with a German Riesling. The bright acidity and slight sweetness balances the spiciness beautifully and is in my opinion one of the great food and wine pairings possible.

My wine buddies and I used to go to a wine bar in San Francisco which had a great selection of German Rieslings and had spicy appetizers such as Thai curried mussels. They were heaven together!

While top rieslings can get expensive, the lower sweetness levels, such as Kabinett or Spatlese (the Spat being slightly riper and sweeter but still not near as sweet as a dessert wine) are pretty inexpensive. Even cheaper are QbA German wines. They usually just say the producer's name and riesling on the label without a vineyard name or a Kabinett, Spatlese, Auslese or other designation.

Go to a good wine shop with a good selection of German rieslings and ask a salesperson to recommend an inexpensive one for you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm glad to see a question like yours. It's a misconception that wines (western) are not compatible with Asian cuisine. I don't really care much about convention so thru the years I enjoy my wines when having Thai or Chinese food.

Thai dishes are varied and flavorful. Many carry the heat of chilies and other spices. A good inexpensive white from the Alsace-France will bring its own spice to pairing - the wine is dry with ripe fruit flavors.

Sometimes, you need a red to pair with a beef dish. You don't want a big, bold red that will clash with rather than complement the dish. The medium bodied Pinot Noirs are a good partner to beef dishes. The fruitiness goes nicely with Asian spices.

Suggest you pick up wine labels showing "Gold, or Silver" medal awards - they are surprising cheap, awfully good. Bon appetite!

• 1 decade ago

I have lived in Thailand for a long time. I eat Thai food often. I enjoy wine also.

I have come to the opinion after many attempts that wine does not really go with Thai food. (real Thai food, that is). I think the reason is Thai food is so hot. In fact Thais usually accompany their meals with water or if alcohol is chosen, beer or (rice) spirit with soda.

One semi-success was a real heavy Cabernet Sauvignon which in itself was so full flavoured to match the very flavoured Thai food.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Thai food is quite subtle, with those wonderful lemongrass flavors--I'd think a dry white, maybe a California chablis if you're being cheapish.

Of course, various varieties of tea would be a good beverage as well. And Thai iced coffee is a treat if you can get a can of the grounds and the little stainless dripper to filter the water through.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Plum wine is gross. The classic pairings with Thai include off-dry Riesling and Gewurztraminer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since thai food is generally spicy, i would go with a very fruit forward wine with body such as a gerwurztraminer or riesling. You can find some cheap german and california rieslings - i prefer german.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Honestly, none. Thai food, like most spicy foods, goes best with beer. Try tracking down Tiger, Chang, or Singha. so good!

• 1 decade ago

a somewhat sweet white is usually great with spicy food - i suggest the Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Riesling. Cheap & delicious.

• 1 decade ago

doesn't matter any cheap red wine. i'm thai and its tradition plus the tastes blend real nicely

• 1 decade ago

Cheese tastes good with wine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.