if you are against cloning, should you be against artificial insemination too? how about c-section?

how about if i wasnt talking about human cloning?

im not saying that thay are equal but i want to point out that they are "modern" medical practices. that should include cloning too

Favorite Answer

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'cloning'.

Many years ago and in a different 'incarnation' I worked in a hospital where 'clones' were used for research. They are called 'cell lines' and allow one to obtain a quantity of identical cells. The best known was obtained from a tumour from someone called Henrietta Lacks.

We use clones every day in our lives. Many plants we eat are effectively cloned. Potatoes, bananas, grapes.

But I guess what you mean is the 'cloning' of an entire animal. In which case the differences between artificial insemination are primarily the medical techniques used to obtain the result.

The difficulties I guess are not anything to do with the biology therefore, it's the 'ethics' involved. It could be argued that the HeLa cells (above) were obtained unethically. But I think most people's objections really only start to come in once 'consciousness' and 'individuality' come into the equation.

My problems are not the procedures therefore, but the purpose for which one would do such a thing. And the idea of creatures being created as 'organ spares' or whatever is distasteful to me. Even the idea that one could potentially give a woman a baby by using one of her own cells alone causes me problems. But you'll note from my terminology that it is the idea of such things that I am uneasy with. The science bit I think is 'neutral'.

In the end I think it comes down to how much we each feel we should 'interfere' with nature. I personally draw lines at GMOs but I know many people have no problem with them.

Interesting question. Apologies for the rambling answer.

.

• meg3f

I am against cloning, of humans, animals or plants. I am against any type of genetic engineering. Why? Because we just don't know enough about what the ramifications will be down the line. I want to know if the food I buy has been genetically altered. Because then I would not buy it. We don't yet know enough about the consequences of such meddling.

I'm not sure where I stand on artificial insemination. I know that it does help many couples to conceive and have a child, but is it right?? I don't know.

As for c-section, as has been said, this has nothing to do with the other two.

It is a medical technique, not all that new. It doesn't "create" anything artificially, it is only a procedure that helps a baby (already created) to be born, most times saving the baby's and the mother's lives.

because c-sections and artificial insemination don't make a new human life. They don't go against anything in the Bible, like creation. Creation should only be left to God and the natural ways of things. Cloning isn't natural and we undermine God when we clone, trying to BE God ourselves.

• murtha

lots of my older relatives were racists because they were pushed out of Chicago's Englewood community interior the 1960's through black "community busters". The memories they instructed were scary, notwithstanding the community Busters did not extremely characterize maximum blacks. notwithstanding, i might want to comprehend the way they felt, getting run out of properties they'd lived in all their lives. i do not imagine loads of the racists that submit right here have ever interacted with black human beings in any respect, they in simple terms listen the stereotypes and picture that one and all blacks are that way. They see a black female walking down the line and at present anticipate she has 5 or 6 youthful little ones from 3 or 4 diverse fathers and is on welfare. i will admit, there might want to be some like that, yet maximum at the instantaneous are not.

You must remember that a lot of arguments made against cloning are the same exact ones that were made 25-30 years ago against test tube babies (invetro fertilization).

That is like comparing apples and oranges....Different things. C section is a medical procedure to get the baby out because of complications , how could you compare that to creating human which is going to have health complications and age faster?

Well, I am against idiots too, but still I answer their questions, sometimes.

Btw, C-section does not equate to artificial insemination.

insemination is still using sperm , it is simply inserted differently... no harm there

C section is a life saving operation at times both for the mother and baby ... needed

cloning .... un natural ( yes even with animals )

Christians don't really care how beneficial science can be to peoples lives and how much good it does, they dislike it because it proves that everything they believe in is a load of backwards rubbish.

• Dee

how about, how about, don't try to justify it... Cloning has no comparison to a C section....