KC asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

Is it weird to plant vegetables in the front yard, versus the back yard?

Dogs in the backyard!

Thanks for your opinions! :)

Last answer made me laugh!!! Truth is - I don't want to do it, my husband does, so I told him I'd ask here and see what people said!

Favorite Answer

Yes, don't do it. I understand about the dogs but it's wierd, people will laugh at you, make fun of you, it will look like Hell, and your resale value will go down. Plus, people will steal your vegetables, including anyone that comes up to your door. Plus, you will get more bugs near your entrance which will find there way into your house. Furthermore, you might be subject to tricks from kids - they'll squash the veggies (especially tomatoes) on your lawn, your driveway and if you're not lucky - they'll even throw them at your door or windows. It's just not worth it. Just say no.

Source(s): I tried it and found out the hard way. Don't be a fool, learn from a tool.

I don't think so, but I hate seeing wasted garden space!

Grass lawns requrie lots of water and fertilizer, are often treated with chemicals, and give back very little function. Unless you have kids that play in your front lawn, I'd vote for planting a vegetable garden.

Consider having a decorative boarder, planting lots of flowers like sweat pea, marigold and nastursium, and plant "showy" vegetables where they can be viewed (like pumpkins). You'll want to keep the garden extra tiddy, but careful planning can minimize the work.

Or, if you want to keep the lawn, you could use vegetable plants as your border plants around the lawn.

Be sure to contact your homeowners association, if you have one, before you get too attached to the idea of vegetables in your front yard. They may have rules agains it.

No, I don't think that it is weird, you may want to think about your neighborhood, are your neighbors honest? You don't want them to take anything while you are not home. You also may have deer that will eat your vegetables, so putting it in the back maybe better. And if you have dogs that might be a problem, you don't want them to spray yellow love all over your veggies

Source(s): Experience
  • I used to have a big vegetable garden in my front yard, but then I had a really big front yard. I guess it depends on the size of your front yard, but I think it would look okay as long as you don't have a crappy-looking fence around it, like mine did.

depends city/country

One city gal planted in her front yard, Passerby's stole her crops

Finaly had to coat the fruits with habanero chile and soap

A gal in Singapore, the city tore up her front yard veggies, said she could only have flowers in her front yard

Just a different 2¢

Why not? I bet you will get lots of comments. Maybe your front yard gets more sunshine or something, Or maybe you have unhelpful dogs or children in the back yard. Go for it!

Nope. Some plants are very pretty from the street especially tomatoes when they bloom and bear fruit.

It's not usual. It's a bit weird.

I think people will help themselves to your vegetables. Get a good fence.

You could plant them among flowers if you think it would look better. Companion planting can be beneficial for plants.

it is kind of weird to plant veggies in the frontyard.

How about making garden beds on the sideyard?