How can I stop stuttering?

Im only 15 and I stutter sometimes. I get nervous of reading or talking out aloud in the class. What can I do to stop stuttering or to improve it?

• Bud B
    Favorite Answer

Check out the web site for The Stuttering Foundation as there is a world of information there. Go to the "Brochures for All Ages" section and read the tips for talking on the telephone brochure. Some of those same tips can be used other times. Watch the video "straight talk for teens." You can go to www.google.com and search the videos for "straight talk for teens" or find it in the teen section of The Foundation's web site. The Foundation's book "Self Therapy for the Stutterer" is what helped several of my uncles and cousins to overcome their stuttering. Some public libraries have it.

Source(s): www.stutteringhelp.org - The Foundation was the source of help for our family of stutterers

A person's abnormal condition, like stuttering, can be due to inadequate physical development or psychological. A speech expert can diagnose which one. If it is physical, then science has a solution for it. Stuttering is not a new disease or condition. It has been with the modern man for as long as he lives. If it is psychological, a psychiatrist can conduct test, like hypnotism, or evaluate the person's past and present situation and environment that is causing this nervous manifestation. When the cause is determined, the solution can be made. And the person can manage his behaviour to consciously check himself from stuttering. The message is consult the proper specialist for this condition.

check out the web site for The Stuttering Foundation at www.stutteringhelp.org as they have a lot of info about stuttering for all ages.

Source(s): www.stutteringhelp.org
  • Cooper

The Stuttering Foundation is your best source for any information about stuttering.

Source(s): www.stutteringhelp.org

go to the web site for The Stuttering Foundation and find a therapist in your area that specializes in helping stutterers

Source(s): www.stutteringhelp.org

I think that going into class with a confident attitude and telling yourself that you won't be scared or nervous definitely makes a difference. Also, perhaps doing a lot of reading outside of class will help as well.

• xwdguy

You can go to the library or try http://www.stutteringhelp.org/ if you're looking for free help. I knew someone in college who never stuttered when he was with his pets -- perhaps a visualization like that might help.

There is writen a book on handling stuttering see here http://dianetics.bridgeinc.us/pages/whatis.php

practice when your on your own pretend your speaking to an audience and work on not stuttering by taking you time with wot you say and slowly speeding it up

There are a lot of books on the subject. I suggest you log onto Amazon.com and search for them. Good luck!