Help with HFA (Autism)?

My son is 9 and was diagnosed with HFA. He is having a great deal of difficulty at school (meltdowns, frustrated, being bullied). Any suggestions or ideas would greatly be appreciated. Would like to hear from others with similar situations. Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Be certain that his school and teachers are aware of his condition. If he is placed in regular classes ("mainstreamed"), the teachers will have different expectations of him and may put him in situations that will cause him stress, such as being bullied. Some are also quite ignorant and brush this off as "fad psychology". If that is the case, put your foot down and remind them of the Department of Education's Section 504.

You may also want to check out the diet and supplement options that help many kids on the spectrum.

- Gluten free / casein free

- Eliminate sugars

- Vitamin B complex supplements

(These are an 'all in one' with all of the B vitamins)

- Mineral supplement with Magnesium, Folic Acid, Potassium

Source(s): I have Asperger's Syndrome (HFA)

Hi, my brother has asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism by the way :)...and he too had a really hard time in school. Most kids and adults with aspergers syndrome have sensory problems....such as meltdowns, being frustrated, not liking a lot of noise, disliking certain fabrics or feeling of things, etc, etc, etc. Has your son ever been offered occupational therapy to deal with the meltdowns (most likely caused by sensory over stimulation)? Sensory therapy greatly helped my brother as did a individual educational plan (IEP) where it stated that he was to have breaks when he needed them and could work in a quiet, darkened room when needed. Later in high school, we actually found out that he did much better at the how can I put this...the bad children's school, because even though he wasn't a bad kid, they had very low student to teacher ratios and the school was very small...only a few classrooms and the teachers were able to work with him much more than at the regular high school. As for being bullied...have you had anyone go and talk to the children in the classroom about your son's disabilities? Or maybe even the whole school during an assembly? Your son doesn't need to be there when they do this. We did this with my brother and the other students actually started looking out for him for the most part...some of the kids are just bullies and nothing is going to stop them, make sure to have a plan to help your son when students bully him...maybe a teacher at recess who is watching the kids can keep an eye out for your son. Don't let his school tell you that none of this is possible. It is his right as a student with disabilities to have his school and classroom adapted to his needs. If they refuse to help you, find outside help through an advocacy agency or someone like that...that always does the trick! Good luck!

Source(s): Brother with Asperger's Syndrome, Learning Disabilities, Sensory Processing Disorder, OCD's, Anxiety Disorder, ADD, and possible Bi-Polar Brother with Learning Disabilities and Sensory Processing Disorder and... Me with learning disabilities,sensory processing disorder, hearing impairment and dwarfism.
  • Mark

My 14 year old son has always found school beyond difficult and is a social misfit to boot. He takes medicine for ADD and depression/anxiety... has been on an 'Ed' plan since elementary school and currently has a special aid to look after him. Next year is high school.

My 12 year old daughter is diagnosed PDD "Pervasive Developmental Disorder" with no further specifications. (autism being under the PDD umbrella). She is low functioning without verbal skills and requires a low ratio of student to teacher... she will not be able to fly from the nest.

My wife's first born son from a previous, now 21, is HFA and made it thru public school on his own.

What do you want to know? Having your kids bullied s#cks like nothing else. If he's not getting special help in and out of school he may be eligible. You can inquire within the public school dept. or with your city or town's DMR. (dept of mental retardation...) good luck

Source(s): life and living

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-functioning_auti... if you don't like to click on sites here, just do a search for wikipedia-HFA and you will get this page, I don't know how much you know about autism, but if you don't please educate yourself. I am a recently retired elem teacher and everything can be so sensory stimulating to them, that is why they have meltdowns and social interaction is difficult and since other kids can't "see" physically the issue, they treat your son as they usually do when they interact and he doesn't get it, and he feels like you do when you've had the most stressful day of your life and you feel like screaming or running away, when your overload button is flashing a big huge red siren. It might be best to see what sets him off, if you can visit at school, pretend to help in the classroom or lunch room or playground, then you can observe.

If you son is only 9 years old and diagnosed with HFA there is a good possibility his diagnose will be changed to Asperger's Syndrome later in his life.

I have read many book about autism spectrum disorder and I find it hard to see the difference between HFA and Asperger's Syndrome, and many scientist also claim there is not really a difference.

I can recommend you read books written by Lorna Wing, Uta Frith, and Tony Attwood.

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/

My own favorite book is Tony Attwood: "Asperger's Syndrome - "A Guide for Parents and Professionals".

Mothering Magazine has done TONS of aritcles on Autism. THey have talked not just about the vaccine controversy, but also had success stories with chelation and all kinds of stuff. You can order ANY back issues you need and I am sure they have info on www.mothering.com. Also go to their motherdotcommune...the online forums for more info and support. I think they are an awesome resource. Also, google "the mind institute" online...my friend has a boy wiht asbergers? and does stuff with them...i am not sure what. The school is also obligated to have some kind of meetings with you and the teachers regarding his progress in school. I think there is federal funding for any aids he may need or tutoring. do your homework! Hope it helps.

I have Asperger's. I found these things are helpful at school (I already graduated) :

*"Cool down time" where he can go in the hall or Resource room to calm down if he needs to

*Extended time on assignments

*Allowed to take tests in a quiet room/Resource

*Social Stories (you talk through a situation that might bother him so he knows what to do)

I also have found that it is a lot easier to handle school if home is calm because then it's a "retreat" from the rough stuff at school.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/autism/DS00348/DSECTI...

here read this about autism and see if that helps