Replacing Press fit rear wheel bearings Ford Focus?

I've just bought 2 rear wheel bearings for my '99 focus.

I understand how they are fitted (from the manual)

The question is, what's the best way to remove / fit them?

Thats the best tool?

By remove / fit i mean pressing the bearing itself in / out

Kinda solved this one myself now:

Made a tool using threaded bar, nuts and steel plates cut to fit. Thanks for contributions anyway

Favorite Answer

they have bearring removal tools. alot of places will let you rent the tool for free you just have to pay a deposit, you get it back when you return the tool. do you have murrays where you are located cuz i know they rent em for free. not sure about autozone but they may. call around, u'll find somewhere that will rent em free or really cheap.

Ford Focus Rear Wheel Bearing

I own a shop, and the way we do it is; We will either use a slide hammer type bearing tool, or a Dremel Tool with a cut off blade type wheel. Cut the bearing at an angle as to not harm the housing. Take your time, and it may take several blades (wheels) to cut is out, and be sure to put a wad of paper soaked in water up in there so it doesn't make a fire. If you cut it at about an 25-30 degree angle, and take your time, it should come out within about 10 minutes or less. Once you get a split in it, it should come out easily. You will want to heat the new bearing on the stove in a pan until it changes colors (no more) and grab it with a good tool to hold it with, and drop it on to the axel. It should bottom out real quick, if not have a hammer, and a piece of 2x4 handy that you can tap it down quickly with. The bearing will get larger when heated, and go back to normal size when it cools. DO NOT use cold water to cool it down, let it cool on its own, or you will change the properties of the heat treatment within the bearing and ruin it. The inside bearing can be knocked out with a punch, and to replace it; Place it in the freezer to shrink it, and clean the hole it goes into good with sandpaper, and make sure there are no burrs on the housing. Just before you try to install it, spray a good coat of WD-40 on the housing. You must be fast at it, or the bearing will warm up to where it will stick before you can get it all the way in, but place the wood on it square and hit it in with the hammer. Make sure it doesn't get cocked to one side. If it does; knock it back out and try again. Once you get the hang of it, you can put it right in with no problem. A job like this is always best left to an experienced mechanic, due to the fact it can be hard to do, and costly if you mess up.

As a machine builder, I have worked on jobs that would fire you for beating on a bearing or pressing a bearing inside a hole, as this damages the bearing, and is in no way the way its done at the factory. They heat them, and they freeze them. This way the bearing just slips right in with little or no effort, and does it without damaging it. By the way I have built machines for GM, Chrysler, and others.

Glad to help out, Good luck!!!

Source(s): Certified Master Mechanic, Shop Owner, 40 yrs. experience.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Thats the best tool?

Source(s): replacing press fit rear wheel bearings ford focus: https://biturl.im/zgbAg

depends one should just drop out of the brake hub the other u can knock out using a punch, to refit u can use a socket thats the same size as the bearing as u need to make sure you get an even pressure around the bearing so u dont fit it at an angle if u need any more info im me im a quilified mechanic.

Source(s): college quilification

When we have to do them we send the whole hub to our local auto parts supplier and have them press them in. Many other shops will do it for you as well. I think most Pep Boys will do it for a small fee even if you did not buy the bearings there

Source(s): 30+ years in the fleet business

you need to take the drums to a machine shop or a shop that has a press these bearings are pressed in

hammer and a bronze drift! but in all honesty, teh cage wears, the shells are considerably harder... if they arent damaged, then just replace teh outer bearing, which falls out into your hand... itll take you longer to jack it up and remove the wheel...