Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesVolkswagen · 1 decade ago

GTI, RABBIT question?

im planning on buying one of the 07 models for these two cars, the rabbit has an inline 5 150 HP engine and the GTI is a 2.0 Turbo 200 HP engine, i was thinking the GTI is faster than the Rabbit because it has a turbo installed, i was thinking Rabbit has a bigger engine if i install a turbo on the Rabbit it will go faster than the GTI becuase then the rabbit will become a 2.5T rather than the GTI which is a 2.0T, so the Rabbit will be faster and will cost 7 grand less, is this true?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Nah, the 5-cyl is less technologically advanced than is the 2.0T, plus the 5 wasn't designed from the ground-up with the turbo in mind.

It would likely cost you around $3000 or more *just* for the turbo or supercharger for the 5-cyl, and then finding someone to do a GOOD job installing it will probably set you back another grand or two. When all of this is done, you have an economy car [not knocking the Rabbit, believe me, since I'm dyed-in-the-wool VW nut] with more power than the chassis can sustain safely. To fix those now-weak parts, you're up for a few more grand of mods and frustration. You'll kill your bunny's warranty doing any of this, too. Reliability of your hopped-up bunny [hehe] will be unknown as you tweak & mod, too.

Best bet - if performance is what you seek, out of the box, just getcha a proper GTI with full warranty and enjoy it from the first time you turn the key. :) It will be MUCH MORE worth it.

If 150 horsies can satisfy you, then get a bunny, keep the change, and enjoy the hell outta it.

Good luck~

Source(s): VW nut. '83 GTI...2x '81 Jetta...'03 Eurovan in my stable gtimandan@aol.com
  • Alex
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Basically what the other people have said is 100% true. It's easier to just buy the GTI and avoid having to go through the trouble of fixing up the rabbit. Also, about the 7 grand... even if it is more expensive, you can finance the car for the whole $24,000, otherwise, you would have to pay cash for the 3 grand to get the turbo installed. The GTI is a pretty fast car, 0-60 in 6 seconds.

Source(s): 17 yr old GTI MKV owner :)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No

Why you say, the 2.5 5 cyl is a 10 valve head SOHC and the 2.0 4 cyl is what 20 valves and DOHC(from Audi).

The DOHC is always going to flow better and have the higher power potential. Your 7 grand savings would be spent just catching up to the 2.0L Turbo.

There are other things to consider. The tranny in the GTI while under appreciated is the heart and soul of all GTI's. It would cost you about 4 Large just to get the Rabbit Trans up to speed and on an equal footing with the GTI. Work smart, not hard and there are great power gains out there for the 2.0L Turbo that pretty much go out to 500 HP

If you can swing it go GTI, it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

ASE Cert Auto Tech, VW since 1976, 92 GTI 16V 2.0L, Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill any day!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.