I can't afford counseling. What are my options?

I've come to the realization that I really need to talk with someone but I'm so broke I can't really pay anyone. I'm embarrassed to even be thinking of talking with anyone but it seems that only choice.

Favorite Answer

Try your county/local mental health agency. Also see http://www.onestepatatime.com/ & http://www.psychforums.com/ or try calling the Samaritans (phone book), or email jo@samaritans.org

have you tried writing down your thoughts? I find this more effective and rather cleansing. meditating is also a great way to find your self and your personal needs. there is a couple cleanses at your local health food store that will help you get your physical and mental health back on the right path. start with a colon cleanse and then do a candida yeast cleanse then chelation therapy, these cleanses rid the body of toxins that are interrupting your bodies balance. a good book is: Louis L. Hays "You Can Heal Your Life" try finding it at your library, I did... in good health

Source(s): put colon cleanse, candida yeast and chelation therapy in your search engine and the answere's are there

If you think millions of people are in counseling to be cured it is an error. The money could go for a nice trip to see a distant aunt. Depression comes as we have to relearn ideas in life. Be safe in a safe place depression is all about friends and family.

A lot of communities have free counseling services either through universities, charities or even government funded programs. Check you phone book or call you local Dept. of Human Services.

Catholic Charities offers counseling services on a sliding scale, so you only pay what you can afford. You can find your local chapter in the phone book, and you don't have to be Catholic to use their service. Good Luck.

Source(s): Personal experience

A lot of places have free hotlines for counseling over the phone.

Many churches and places of worship have people (such as the pastor or whatever) who are willing to counsel their congregations.

Salvation Army also provides casework or counseling services free or on a sliding scale in many areas.

Source(s): Salvation Army website,

if i was you id try a pastor with a good church. they seem to charge the least and if your a member maybe you can get away with even less. At least try your local mental health i didnt have to pay anything when i went there.

Public Mental health agencies, run by the County, are normally free.

Source(s): counselor

Talk with me...you can write an e-mail with all your thoughts and problems...do it! I'll try to answer you as a friend!

Take good care...and pray! Prayer can also help a lot, you know? Have a good day!