What is the best way to remember the Heparin dosage calculation?

Favorite Answer

I personally would ask your institution's pharmacy for a copy of their protocol and carry it with me. Each institution might have their own protocol also, so it's important to make sure you use the right one.

Some may use standardized protocols, and others might get more specific by using patient's body weight. But all will adjust dosing by repeated coagulation blood tests that show the patient is in the desired anticoagulated range. You can't always depend on your memory for formulas and if I was the patient I would rather see you looking at a formula sheet.

There are many good sites on the internet and some are better than others in explaining or have nice tables you can print out. But I would first check your institution's protocol.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you were looking for different kind of information, you could update your question and I would do the same to my answer.

The easiest way is to forget it altogether and use a LMW heparin instead of UFH. Simpler and in many cases better, and the lesser level of lab monitoring makes up economically for the difference in price.