kiki68
kiki68 asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 decade ago

do you know of any effective treatments for ingrown toe nails?

the lower part of my toe 'thumbs' grows into the skin causing great agony. i have to have a pedicure every two weeks to have them trim the nail and each time they end up digging deeper and deeper till we are now drawing blood.

Favorite Answer

I've had this problem myself. The pedicure treatment is likely aggravating the issue. You're best bet is seeing a podiatrist. He/she can permanently remove the edges of the nail, effectively alleviating ingrowns for life. I had the procedure after several rounds of treatment over about five years, including removal of toenails. They continued to grow back with problems. The in-office surgery was simple, quick, and caused only minor pain. In the meantime, salt soaks should help with infection. Also, be sure to wear non-constricting shoes.

Source(s): personal experience

I had ingrown toe nails on BOTH my big toes.... suffered with the problem for YEARS and it didn't matter HOW the nails were cut because the ends of my nails would CURL downward INTO the toe as soon as they were cut... (something hereditary I guess because both my father, 2 of my brothers AND a niece all suffer from curled INWARD toe nails). We ALL had our ingrowns removed at a podiatrists office... The doctor shoots novocaine into your toe (that hurts the most during the entire procedure) then takes a pair of pliars and just pulls the nail out----with ME, he then took an appliance and burned the root area of the toe nail so that the toe could not grow back....Needless to say, they never did and I've been pain free ever since.... the toes are extremely painfull for 2 or 3 days after the extraction and you can't wear shoes OR sneakers until the pain lessens, but once healed, it's like a BLESSING to have the toe nails GONE!!!!!

I had the same problem but sorted it like this: don't cut the corners of the toenail rather cut a"v" shape from corner to corner of the toenail - i.e so the nail doesn't grow into the side. When you wear shoes (while it heals up and if your toes are squashed into the front) pad between your affected toes with cotton wool. Often it is the shoes that cause the condition in the first place. Don't let them pull the toenail out - that is an archaic remedy. Hope this helps!

You may have an infection from the ingrown toenail. Please call your family dr and tell them of your ingrown toenail as well as the bleeding. If he doesn't think you need to see him right away or go straight to the ER, he will most likely refer you to a podiatrist (foot dr).

I've had ingrown toenails. The one that I had was surgically removed (after receiving lidocaine ;) The podiatrist had tried to clip it out with a special sterilized clipper, but it still gave me swelling and inflammation so I got a tiny section of the nail removed and had to do some minor aftercare such as soaking in warm epsom salt.

You're doing this to yourself. You are cutting them too short. Let them grow and cut them so they won't burrow into your nail bed. Flat across at the top is best. If it doesn't look cute enough for you, you can go back to the ingrown look.

Soaking your feet in a warm foot bath with Epsom salts will help when they are ingrown.

those are the worst! i've got won many assistance by the years. you have have been given to be careful, because of the fact in case you have have been given an infection in there, it ought to get intense. If the floor bordering your nail gets crimson and is extremely painful to touch, pass see your surgeon. i've got had 2 very undesirable ingrown toenails, the two one among them on the enormous toe on the two ft. Very painful! An ingrown toenail happens whilst the nail starts off growing to be in the floor bordering your toe, the place the call comes from. What you are going to be able to desire to do is initiate slicing your nails sq. - do no longer around down the sides of the nail. clean the sides of your nails frequently, all kinds of poop gets caught in there - sock lint, airborne dirt and dirt, despite. on a daily basis, take a cuticle remover (a small gadget you may get at a pharmacy, looks like a stitching gadget used to get rid of stitches), and gently pass out the gunk chanced on between your nail and the floor surrounding it. this is significant to push it from the commencing up of your toenail to the tip of your toenail - in case you pass from end to commencing up, you ought to push something interior and create an infection. clean your cuticle remover gadget with alcohol after each use - use TP or a cotton ball, positioned some rubbing alcohol on that, and rub the gadget some circumstances. each so often you will experience some calloused epidermis between your nail and the floor surrounding your nail. oftentimes this complicated epidermis needs to be bumped off, because of the fact it sort of grabs onto your nail, and you are going to be able to desire to allow your nail strengthen out with out having snagged. If the nail gets snagged, it's going to turn inwards, and strengthen inwards, exacerbating your problem. i'm hoping this helps - keep doing this till your nail grows out and you will see the sides of the two area of your nail. If it gets worse, pass see your surgeon!

Take a small piece of cotton, ball it up, and pry up the edge of the toenail and place the cotton ball under there, this will direct the toenail to grow upward. Good luck.

call your doc he or she will help you good luck

Source(s): pree med