Isn't this demeaning?

At my workplace, we are required to request permission to use the restroom. Also, as much as possible, we are expected to wait either until one of our two 10-minute breaks or until our 30-minute lunch break to go to the toilet. Excuse me, but I'm a 33-year-old woman. Call me crazy, but when I graduated high school, I didn't think that I would ever have to request anyone's permission to use the toilet ever again. I'm not in f*cking kindergarten! Also, I don't want to wait until my breaks to use the restroom, because I want to actually relax and enjoy my breaks, rather than spend them sitting on the toilet seat!

Favorite Answer

That IS demeaning!!! I mean, don't get me wrong, i work in a restaurant where you simply do not have the time to use the bathroom most of the time and when you do, sometimes we pick a cigarette over peeing because we needed that more!!! A #2? OUT OF THE QUESTION most nights!!! However, we don't have to ask. That is just retarded. You can thank the people who messed that up for you though. People who have abused going to the bathroom before, I guess. Why don't you just find another job? From your answers on here, you sound way too smart to even have to put up with that crap!

I think it depends on what kind of job you have. If you are working retail, grocery store, fast food, etc then having to ask permission or wait is normal. I used to work in these fields before so I know how it is to request permission. I think you'll find this requirement is in place to either keep from being short handed or because of past problems with employees abusing bathroom privileges....staying in there too long, going home without punching out, etc.

WTF? I've heard of people having to do this...I used to work in a doctor's office and I remember 2 people had come in and asked for a note from the doctor explaining that they had frequent UTI's so they should be able to go to the bathroom anytime they want, possibly more frequently than other employees.....I didn't even care if it was a lie- I was more than happy to write up that note and stamp the doc's name..I even put my phone number on there for their boss to call if they had any questions! I feel for you...I would file a formal complaint if someone tried to restrict my bathroom time! And what about "that time of the month"? Or if you are sick to your stomach? That is bullshit! No pun intented.

• It's ridiculous!

I'd be tempted to get a Dr's note that you have a weak bladder, and then sue them under the Americans with Disabilities Act!

Obviously the manager has not had the pleasure of experiencing benign prostate enlargement. Yet.

Source(s): Don't ask!

I suppose you're right. It's a strict rule to apply in a workplace. Maybe it's because of employees such as yourself! You're planning your visits to the restroom so it won't interfere with your breaks. Come on - that's just as bad. You add to the bad environment, I think. You think the rules treat you like a child? Stop acting as one and then change the rules.

Good luck

thats a tuff one.... check your company policy, it could just be management, or you may have to look somewhere else, another option would be get a note from your doctor stating you should be free to go when ever, it has been proven after all, that"holding it" can cause damage to your kidneys....

as for requesting permission, that is degrading, and BS! far from crazzy deserving better, get out of there...

I would leave that company.

As an adult why would you put up with this abuse?

slip your manager a diueretic. ;)