Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

28 weeks preggy with first...?

I am 28 weeks pregnant with my first, its a boy! But anyway about the past week or two I have been waking up in the morning feeling exhausted and my arms hurt. They have like an achey pain in the joins (shoulders, ebows, wrists, and fingers). Anyone know what may be causeing this or what I can do to help it? I have tried to look it up online but I havent read anything about achy arms w/ pregnancy. Thanks for any answers....

The pain feels alot like what I would think athritis would feel like.

Favorite Answer

Your putting more strain on your body then you were before.

Are you taking your prenatals?

You may be over comprosmising with your arms more so then your lower body to protect the baby but I am just guessing here. I use to get bad muscle aches with mine too but it was back and lower legs. The doctor told me to eat bananas and drink a lot of water for my muscles. Milk for my bones and the babies.

How do you sleep at night? In which position? Might also be the way your sleeping and cutting off blood flow to those areas.

Sorry can't be of more help. But try that and see if it helps. It did for me.

Ask your doctor.

I'm c. 26 wks, and feeling rather arthritic, too. Especially when I get out of bed, yes. Not so much my arms, more an all-over thing.

I wondered about this, too, and the best explanation I can come up with -- apart from the predictable "you're carrying more weight, you're fatigued" -- and the best answer I have so far has to do with "relaxin."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relaxin

Which supposedly loosens your joints; I mean, it's not specific about what it's relaxing.

"The hormone relaxin is the second explanation for low back pain. During pregnancy, the hormone relaxin is present in 10 times its normal concentration in the female body. Relaxin is good in the sense that its function — as you might guess from the name — is to relax the joints in the pelvis so the baby has room to pass through the birth canal. Unfortunately, relaxin also causes abnormal motion in many other joints of the body, causing inflammation and pain."

http://health.discovery.com/centers/pregnancy/back...

As for what you can do to help it? Not much, but a soak in the tub with some bath salts is nice.

THis is very common during pregnancy and may not subside until the baby is born. However, some women get relief around the third trimester. Its nothing to worry about. Its your body carrying all the extra weight of a baby and the fluids and constantly working triple time to nourish you and the baby. If your concerned, talk to your doc at your next appointment. But this is very normal.

I highly recommend chiropractic care to treat this. It may even completely allieviate these symptoms. Some people will tell you that this is a normal thing during pregnancy, but I feel that it is not, and should be treated by a chiropractor and/or a massage therapist.

Source(s): My education (Massage Tharapy)

I was 28 when I had my last kid, (last year) I have arthritis but it was dorment until I got pregnant and the swelling from all of the water gain and extra weight made it appear, this could be what is happening to you.

I had the same thing and my doctor said it was from the extra weight I was carrying,you wouldnt exactly think it would affect your arms but it can,also it could be from you sleeping on your side. Good luck and congrats on your baby boy!

I dont know what I'd do for that, but I've been having the same thing, except for in my legs, its so uncomfortable. I'm 22 weeks preggo. I hope you find a solution.

Wow, i am 24 weeks pregnant and woke up today with same symptoms. what to expect when expecting says its normal...it mainly talks about tingling and numbness. anyways its all the same...alll circulation....