Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

do you have to be selected to do search and rescue in the coast guard?

I have a few different questions dealing with this....

Do you select your job during basic training?

Do you have to be selected to do search and rescue?

What is the dropout rate for SAR training?

How long does SAR training last?

Can you do it in the reserves?

Can you choose if you want to do SAR from the air or on a boat?

Any help would be appreciated

Favorite Answer

Q: Do you have to be selected to do search and rescue in the coast guard?

A:No You don't have to be selected Sometime it just comes with the job you choose and the unit you are assigned to.

Q:Do you select your job during basic training?

A:Not usually, If you come in with a garunteed "A" school you will have it before boot camp, (I Don't Recommend this)

If you dont have a garunteed "A" school you will eneter the Coast Guard as a Seaman, Fireman or Airman After boot camp you will be able to put your name on a Striker list or an "A" school list. (If you "Strike" a job you will not go to school and you will learn your rate on the job, Striking is not possible for most of the scientific or technical jobs)

Q:Do you have to be selected to do search and rescue?

A:NO, One of the Coast Guards main missions is SAR if you choose the right rate(job) you willl very likely get/have to do SAR

Q: What is the dropout rate for SAR training?

A: SAR is a job that many Coasties are trained in, it is kind of part of the job. Although there are specific aspects of SAR that you might recieve specific training in most of that training is on the job and is not really a pass or fail thing (some people may get qualified fast while others take longer.)

Q:How long does SAR training last?

A: See the Above question

Q:Can you do it in the reserves?

A: You can but it will probably take much, much longer.

Q:Can you choose if you want to do SAR from the air or on a boat?

A: Absolutely, Ii all depends on the rate you choose

If you have and questions feel free to email me

Source(s): 6 years Active duty Coast Guard

I'm not that familiar with the coast guard but in most branches they can guarantee you a job if a) your asvab is through the roof! and b) have a great pt score. the latter only really matters with sf seals recon and the such but with the coast guard it is more or less the same thing. email me if you want so more info. I should have read the whole thing. idk idk if it is a special job like sf or seals then I would imagine higher than other mos or job specialties idk no, most special jobs like that can not be done in the reserves I would imagine both, they assigned one but train you in both.