Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 1 decade ago

does making comics pay..?

can one consider it as a career option...or should you try to do it just when your free..??

Favorite Answer

From what I've heard, the best answer is, it depends on who you're working for.

If you're drawing for Marvel or DC, you can make a decent living or better, depending on how well your book sells. If you're drawing for a smaller company, put out your book every other month (at best) and get a part time job somewhere. If you are trying to do it all yourself, or maybe with some friends or partners, I suggest having a back-up plan. Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you break even, but more often than not, you eventually lose your shirt.

There's more to this business than creating a good book. You also have to get it to people who can buy it. There's marketing, there's promotion, there's distribution and there's the fickle fans. Getting Diamond to carry your book will help, but Big D can't do it all for you, either. I've heard it's getting harder to convince Diamond to carry a self-published book, too.

I'm not trying to scare you, even though it may sound like I am. I think you should know what you're getting into.

Source(s): too many close friends who have tried it

A career in comics is much like a career in any of the arts. There are those who make it big, there are guys who become millionaires from writing and drawing comics; but for every one on those there are hundreds of cartoonists just making a living.

Comics are an art, and like any art if you try to do it just for the money and fame, you are likely to fail. If you get into comics for a love of the art, then you may never be rich or famous, but you very likely could be happy. Follow your dreams; if you don't you will likely always have regrets.

alot of these comic book guys do it not for the money but because they want to create these stories of superheros and supervillian battling it out. It's what they want there career to be, their 9 to 5 job. You can just jump into it unless you feel that is what life is calling for you to do. If you think you have a talent for it and you think you might make it far go ahead and best of luck, but don't do it thinking of it as another job that is just gonna make you money. You have to stay artistic

Yea it does. It may not seem it in the beginning, but it does in the long run. I myself and a few friends are creating our own mangas that we are going to get published in the next two years. And it really isn't the fact being that it makes good money, but the fact that you are doing it because it makes others happy..... wait what am I saying, it is all about the money, just kidding.

But if you are thinking about a career in Art, you should really pursue it. It will have its ups and downs, but its well worth it.

It will pay off, but, they have to be good. People have to like them to buy them, so they can perhaps become movies, television shows, action figures (merchandise), etc. So, in the long run, it will pay off. Hope to read your comics!

God Bless!

• A career in drawing or writing comic books does pay off and if you are interested in finding out more information about this topic for one makes up their mind then please check out the following links....

http://googolplex.cuna.org/12455/ajsmall/story.htm...

http://www.balloontales.com/interviews/career/

if they are good enogh to sell then you have just made good money. just make sure to keep up the good work.