zacco asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Why is everyone sympathising with America so much when thousands are massacred in the rest of the world weekly

It's obvious what happened in Virginia was a tragedy. But why oh why are all our prayers directed there? Are the victims families in more need than those whose whole families are massacred in Darfur? The Americans are getting so much support and sympathy, whereas the underdeveloped world gets nothing!!! Orphans left to die, and yet someone who lost a friend gets a thousand times more sympathy than one who lost both parents. What is it that makes the life of an American worth so much more? Because they're educated? Because they're wealthy? What do you think?

For example, yesterday in church, we were asked to pray for the families of the victims. Happening up and down the country (New Zealand)

Favorite Answer

I don't know why it gets more coverage. Every life on Earth is deserving of our prayers. There are thousands and thousands of Americans out there helping the underdeveloped world.

Just because it does get more coverage doesn't mean it's any more or less a tragedy.

Easy - because the American media extends further around the world than the foreign media does to America. Did you know that Al Jazeera International (broadcast in English) is not welcomed by United States cable providers? The US will only allow its own biased news reports, then sends them around the world to different satellite channels. Saudis are watching The Insider, but Americans can't see EuroNews (which also broadcasts in English!)

The VT massacre happened a few days after some bombings in Casablanca, Morocco (I live in the country, not that city). I didn't get a single e-mail from a friend back home asking if I was okay - this was not because they didn't care - it was because they hadn't heard the news!

Pretty ridiculous, huh? It's the wealth and the media.

Because America is one of the largest supporters of the welfare of other countries especially when there are natural disasters and health epidemics. America does not get that kind of aid from Darfur. I'm not sure what America gets from Darfur, maybe some support in American efforts would be good.

Direct your prayers where you think they will do the most good. Americans will have enough prayers from friends, we don't need yours if they are disingenuous. Americans sympathize with people all over the world who have suffered losses. You need to read more than comic books.

And yes, we may be better educated (unfortunately not all of us), but most of us are not rich. Just poor slobs who manage to eek out a living and keep a roof over our heads.

And excuse me, Americans send more financial aid all over the world per capita than any country. We can't help it that governments in third world countries are so corrupt that aid doesn't get to where it needs to be.

While you are at it, why don't you explain to us about the muslim video of the 12-year old who was beheading a man? Shouldn't this child have been playing with friends instead.

Like I said, pray for your own. They are the ones who you need to pray for, that they will eventually smarten up.

On a lot of levels, I think it's self-centeredness. When something like that happens here, it hits close to home, so it spurs us into action--oh, this is right in my backyard, so I'd better pray. Some people might think that praying after this kind of tragedy will protect them from the same kind of thing. Also, we somehow think that this kind of thing shouldn't happen in our country, so it shakes us up.

Why we don't pray for the massacres in other countries? I think some of it is again self-centeredness; that's way over there, so it doesn't concern me. If it's not in my backyard, I don't have to deal with it. Also, we don't hear about it as much, or if we do, it's not sensationalized like something that happens here. Or maybe we hear so much about things like that in other countries that we're desensitized and don't take action.

Darfur and Sudan and Somalia etc etc, MUSLIMS killing muslims, or Muslims killing african christians, a lot of sympathy is happening here, only its not so widespread or LOUD because the PC Brigade would be screaming its an attack on the so called peaceful muslims.

i think i dont really care about the rest of the world because they are all insane. Not that we are totaly sane by any means, but at least we are basically civilized and dont cut off peoples heads with fishing knives to make out points.

Your question has more to do with trying to control the direction of a personal hope . you obviously know prayer is powerful, and you appear to want the lead . People have the right to their own prayers. leave it alone.

• Dino

Actually, I get the feeling that the rest of the world (with the exception of a few loyal allies) doesn't care very much for us.

because American's are a "developed" country... the population has access to the best of everything but obviously somewhere along the line it all got f***ed up to spit out the violence that is filling our tv screens every night... America is supposed to be a world leader, the biggest the richest and everything but how is that possible when it can produce mass murderers and messed up kids like we see in the media... Your's is a country that needs to look inward to solve its issues before it reaches out and runs another pathetic "war on terror" to make itself feel better.