I want to learn how to read a map,are there some good techniques or books to learn this method?

I am so sick of being lost when I travel. I want to learn how to read a map.I'm talking about the good old-fashion way,not through trip.com or whatever. I want to be able to just pick up a map ,look at it and be able to get from point A to point B. I know that you can go on the computer and look it up, but that's not how I want to do it. What if there's no computer to be found and I'm lost ? Can someone just tell me how you can just grab a map look at it and get there?

Favorite Answer

First the top is north - the big blue lines are interstates (best to stick to them if you're new at this)-the top or side of your map should have a distance scale I usually measure it with my thumb to figure out the distances -the symbols are also listed at the top or side and will tell you what exactly you are looking at-they usually try to draw the roads as close to what they actually look like as possible so your road on your map should resemble the road you are driving on -just be sure to pull off to the side of the road before you check to make sure-I look at the map before I go then write down step by step instructions to myself-saying turn right at such and such a place-or after long curve turn left-etc.-that way I'm following the directions without having to actually figure out where I'm going at the same time

Source(s): married to a map maker for 10 long years - drive everywhere

Are you serious? Did you not go to grade school? I'm not

making fun of you but come on. Go buy a road atlas a good one and just read it. the map keys will tell you what you are looking at. Most states mile markers are set to the exit numbers. Also in most cases you even number interstates run east to west and odd numbers run north and south. Just slow down and really look at an atlas, and if you can read English you should be able to figure it out.