Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

Can someone please help with math?

I have a test tomorrow which basically decides if I go to med-school or not. I am having trouble with an simple algebraic function.

-2(x-3)^3 + 16 = 0 (solve for x)

I can do some steps

-2(x-3)^3 = -16

(x-3)^3= -8

I just don't know how to take the cube from both sides. If I don't learn this within the next few hours, I am in a lot of trouble.

I appreciate any help in advance!!!!

Update:

Thank you all!! You guys have all been really helpful, definately saved my skin! The weird thing is that I can do all the calculus, statistics and probability, but I forgot basic algebra 0:

Again, I cannot thank you guys enough!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Puggy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

-2(x - 3)^3 + 16 = 0

I'm not sure if you want complex roots too, but in case you do, first divide by (-2).

(x - 3)^3 - 8 = 0

Now factor as a difference of cubes. A reminder that

a^3 - b^3 = (a - b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)

[(x - 3) - 2] [ (x - 3)^2 + 2(x - 3) + 4 ] = 0

Simplify.

[x - 5] [ x^2 - 6x + 9 + 2x - 6 + 4 ] = 0

[x - 5] [ x^2 - 4x + 7 ] = 0

At this point, you equate each factor to 0 and solve individually.

x - 5 = 0

x^2 - 4x + 7 = 0

1) x - 5 = 0

x = 5

2) x^2 - 4x + 7 = 0

Use the quadratic formula.

x = [-b ± √(b² - 4ac)]/(2a)

x = [4 ± √(16 - 4(7))]/(2)

x = [4 ± √(16 - 28)]/(2)

x = [4 ± √(-12)]/(2)

x = [4 ± √(4 * 3 * (-1))] / 2

x = [4 ± 2i√(3)]/2

x = 2 ± i√(3)

Therefore, all of your solutions are

x = { 5, 2 + i√(3), 2 - i√(3) }

Again, I don't know how advanced the math you're taking is; it may not even want the complex solutions. But there they are, just in case.

Good luck in med school.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The first step you did is right. The second one isn't: (x-3)^3=8 and not -8. Finding the cube of 8 means which number times itself times itself is 8. Since the 8 is positive, the number you need also has to be a positive number. So, the number you are after is 2 since 2 times 2 is 4 and 4 times 2 is 8. Hence x-3=2 or x=5.

• 1 decade ago

Next step, factor -8 into prime factors (-2*-2*-2). Take the cube root, by pulling out all 3 of the same number, and writing only one two (it's negative). You now have (x-3)=-2. Add 3 to both sides, you have x=1.

• 1 decade ago

-2x(x-3)^3 + 16 = 0

-2(x-3)^3 = -16

(x-3)^3 = 8 (not -8 because you are dividing two negative numbers ( -16/-2 = 8)

Get the cube root of both sides

x - 3 = 2

x = 5

To check

-2(5-3)^3 + 16 = 0

-2(2)^3 + 16 = 0

-2(8) + 16 = 0

-16 + 16 = 0

0 = 0

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yeah! you were on the right track initially

but in your 2nd step, when you divide both sides by -2, you should have

(x-3)^3 = 8

since 2 is the cube root of 8,

(x-3)^3 = 2^3

x-3 = 2

x = 3+2

x = 5

• 4 years ago

i'm maths instructor sending you this information: a million) do no longer restoration specific time, 2) pastime is the motivating element to benefit arithmetic. 3) very maximum extreme element to be reported is "prepare Examples and exercises in straightforward terms. 4) do no longer bypass over any financial ruin. 5) once you're a pupil of state board,do no longer learn something from out element the text textile e book. 6) Refer previous year questions. 6) if ISC, you may desire to refer better books. 7) pastime and not elementary artwork with constructive could convey you 100p.c.successes

• 1 decade ago

I will start from your last step:

-(x-3)^3= -8 => (you had a small mistake here)

(x-3)^3 = (2)^3 ((2)^3 =8)

=> x-3 = 2 => x=5

• 1 decade ago

(x-3)^3 = 8

Remember that 8=2^3

(x-3)^3=(2)^3

Take cube roots of both sides of the equation

x-3=2

x=2+3=5

x=5

• 1 decade ago

I don't think anyone should help you, nobody wants a doctor that can't figure this stuff out.

How are you going to calculate how much medicine a person requires? Don't you need to come up with functions based on a person's health status using many many parameters? This is a simple expression with one unknown.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.