I am wondering about tatoos. I've heard rumors about an ink that fades away after 30-40 years. Is this true?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

yes ink fades... lighter shades fade faster.

when your that old are your really going to be that worried about how your tat looks? i doubt it. you're gonna be more concered with your medicines and your grandchilderen.

i'm sure whatever tat you get will be covered anyway... most older people don't run around in swimsuits...

if you want a tat live you life! be young while you're young! get inked baby!

It depends on where the tattoo is as to how fast it fades. Tattoos on the face fade a lot faster. My aunt has her eyebrows tattooed on and was told to get them redone every 3 years or so. Tattoos that are not exposed to as much sun will probably last longer. But yes, chances are they will need to be touched up or covered up after awhile.

it can fade faster than that. it doesn't fade away completely, even after 50 years, but the color dulls up. touch up are good to get done every ten or 12 years to keep the tats bright. they usually fade faster with regular contact with the sun. you keep em covered, you'll be fine.

I don't agree my grandfather has a few tatto's that are still there i mean yea they dont look brand new but you can make out what it is. I think it all just depends on who does your tatoo

The solution is touch ups. If you live long enough to see your tattoo fade to a degree that you do not like, you go and get a touch up. it's that simple.

it's more like 1 year for the ink to fade. 30 years ago tattoos were done with different needles than they use today. that's why they start to look like a blob.

Some do but I got my first one about 12 years ago and it still looks good.

Yes. I am afraid it is. My Grandfather got a professional tatoo done for the US army 35 years ago. Now, the red white and blue american flage with an eagle on it looks like a puppy dog head that is a faded dark green color.

Source(s): SORRY

yes that is very true best think to do is when out in the sun rub some bullfrog lotion on them

yeah they do but if you moisturize and keep sunscreen on when you go out in the sun that helps alot