How do I report a website based in Calfornia for using my email address book to send unsolicited emails?

Is there a commission or government authority I can get in touch with in California to shut down this website for using my email addresses without my knowledge and permission?

I was sent an invite from a friend to join the website tagged.com, which I did. I then checked to see if anyone I knew was a memeber of tagged by logging into my yahoo mail so that through tagged I could see who was a member. All my emails came up and I had the option to check or uncheck who I wanted to send an invite to - I unchecked everybody because I didn't want anybody from my address book to be a member because most of them were business acquaintances. Anyway a few days later I get an email saying that one of these people, a friend, has accepted an invite. I let it go the first time because I thought that maybe I had sent my friend an invite but just couldn´t remember. The 2nd time it happened I knew for sure I hadn't sent an invite to this particular person. So I started investigating and in google found that several other people have been experiencing the same problem. The tagged site has a folder to show who you have sent an invite to and my folder was completely empty.

Favorite Answer

Sounds like a worm virus to me. Sometimes when you find your friends are getting emails that appear to be generated from you even though you didn't send them, your computer likely has a worm virus. But most of us get thousands of unsolicited emails, from pornographic to loan offers, prize winnings, someone offering something or other... literally thousands weekly. Not much we can do about that. You can pick 20 people from your address book and compare that junk mail, and would find you received from the same people.

The best thing to do is to change your E-Mail adress and only give it to people you think need it.