What is the proper title for a lawyer?

My friend is graduating from law school in a few weeks and I was going to buy him sort of a gag gift but have it engraved with his nicknamed but with esquire or j.d. after it. I would like to know what the official title of a lawyer is (pretending that he will pass the bar) so I can have each part include.

Thanks.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Esquire" is traditionally used as a title for lawyers, though unofficially.

According to wikipedia, "attorney," "attorney-at-law," and "J.D." are also acceptable, though "J.D." can be used by anyone with the degree, even if they choose not to practice law.

I would go with "esquire," especially on a gag gift. It sounds a bit stuffier than "J.D."

Source(s): Wikipedia, and personal knowledge.
  • 4 years ago

Title Lawyer

• 4 years ago

Lawyer Title

• 4 years ago

Source(s): AskLawyers - http://www.inquirelawyers.com/
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

RE:

What is the proper title for a lawyer?

My friend is graduating from law school in a few weeks and I was going to buy him sort of a gag gift but have it engraved with his nicknamed but with esquire or j.d. after it. I would like to know what the official title of a lawyer is (pretending that he will pass the bar) so I can have each part...

• 1 decade ago

I think Full Name, Esq. is sufficient. Esquire implies that they have their law degree and have passed the bar, whereas if you just put J.D. it doesn't necessarily mean he passed the bar.

• 5 years ago

I don't think anyone can truly tell you

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Anything goes" "Do or die, lie or sigh" "Blame and Shame, win the game" "Twist and Shout, Leave no Doubt" "Attorney at Lie"

"Fabrications Expert" "Liars R US"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.