Which citrus trees can be kept and maintained in pots?

Favorite Answer

Almost all citrus trees make good pot plants as they have a shallow root system (in contrast, plants with long tap roots don't make good pot plants). Just make sure you keep the roots cool and moist in summer (water often and use mulch) as citrus trees need a lot of moisture and HATE dry roots.

Best trees to grow are lemon and orange, particularly if you live in a cooler area. Lime, tangerine and grapefruit are also possible but these are really subtropical plants and need some warmth in winter. I have a lemon tree in my greenhouse in Scotland which is thriving: it stands outside in summer and gets the warmth and air it needs, then in winter it sits in the greenhouse and is protected from frost and cold, wet winds. I think possibly the best citrus of all for pots would be either the calamondin orange or the kumquat: both are relatively small and both can withstand more cold than even lemon or orange.

• A lemon tree or a Lime tree I know can be maintained in a pot. But to be honest I think all citrus trees can be raised in a pot this keeps them from growing huge.

Certainly Lemons and Oranges. Pot growing does restrict root expansion and can help with earlier fruit. Pot size can be increased to allow for growth as years pass.