If marriage between gay men become legal should wedding vows be altered to reflect *open* marriages?

Is it realistic, fair or wise to expect two gay men be faithful to each other in a *marriage*?

Favorite Answer

Honestly? ...about as realistic as a hetero marriage..I don't think its a gay male thing only...I do think that the vows should be altered to fit the individual marriage as they see fit...

....Of coarse this opinion is coming from someone (me) who doesn't think that sexual chemistry is always with your life partner....go figure.....

• ron s

I think that it's very realistic for two men to be faithful to each other. Should gay marriage become legal, we should have the same vows as straight. We are striving for marriage, if we change the wording of the vows, then we're trying for something more, and that's not the case.

Yes, it is realistic and fair to expect two gay men to be faithful to one another in a marriage. Marrying someone implies that you want to spend the rest of your lives with one person only and you are ready and willingly to committ to him/her. Why would you even bother getting married if you know that you have no intention on being faithful?

What is this nonsense of "open marriages?" I would love nothing more than to have the right to marry the same as straight people and would never take if for granted the way some people do...marriage is a serious step.

The "vows" are nothing more than what the couple wants, they aren't specifically set forth in law.

Yes, there are plenty of gay couples that are and can expect fidelity. Simply because some do not wish to remain faithful does not make the entirety of the homosexual population like that.

After 7 years, my other half and I have remained completely faithful to each other, it's not unrealistic at all.

It's as "realistic, fair or wise to expect two

gay men be faithful to each other in a marriage"

as is it to expect two heterosexuals to be.

• I take it you expect straight men to stray as well.

What matters is that both partners are in agreement as to the arrangements of their marriage. Many people write their own vows, so there's no impediment to ANY couple altering the traditional ones to reflect their needs.

Gay men are perfectly capable of monogamy; you'll only make trouble if you insist on confusing these separate issues.

I think ChadKyle nailed it. But when you get married outside of a church, you can ask the celebrant to put in any vows that you want. How about this; "Do you (Adam and Cedric) promise to love, honour and obey each other until one of you finds a bit of fluff on the side, in which case the other one will wait patiently until that's over with, and then continue on, as if nothing ever happened?" Come to think of it, if more heterosexual marriages were framed that way, there would be less grounds for divorce.

• Luis

Yes it's fair, and wise and normal to expect monogamy.

Gay men are no more promiscuous than heterosexual men, married or not, it's time to get rid of that old stigma.

This is a very outdated ideal.

I'm South African and Gay marriages were finally legalised her not so long ago. I think the occassion was fantabulous!!!

At least they dont find uptight dull preachers who wont be creative for their ceremonies. Whats wrong with saying, "John, do you take Billy to be...blah, blah, blah, I now pronounce you life partners...etc"

People should'nt make things difficult...

And people cheating is totally common, it has nothing really to do with being gay, lesbian or straight.... Its just the inability of one to stay comitted to one person.

thats a dumb *** question! gay or not if you are married and love each other than why the heck would you even want an open marriage?

if 2 ppl think they cannot stay faithful in a marraige then why the hell get married in the first place?