Why do textbooks suck so terribly?

I mean, they really do -- I have to write all my own problems and everything, because the textbooks available are of such low quality....

I teach Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.

Favorite Answer

Underpaid, underachiving, junior college teachers that are influenced by the mighty dollar is the answer.

Just write your own and make your students pay for it next year.

Cash in before it's too late.

I think that it depends on what text books you are looking at. I believe there are still textbooks of high quality somewhere out there like those that I use. However, I think that text books are not suppose to provide problems that are hard and suits how your students perform because they keep in mind that testing how well your students perform should be the job of the teacher/professor.

Textbooks have there reasons. They are not problem books which you can also find in the library. They are just there to re-explain and provide a guide to the teacher and the student. Besides, you do not want textbooks to replace your job right?